Re: Elitebook 8730w - Keyboard and mouse dead after stand-by (5638 Views)
Honor Student
zooliat
Message 1 of 8 (5,726 Views)

Elitebook 8730w - Keyboard and mouse dead after stand-by

Hello, i'm experiencing a weird issue: after the laptop goes to sleep i cannot wake it up properly because after the login screen appears, the keyboard and mouse (usb or touchpad) doesn't work. I have to force shut down and reboot, and this is very annoying. Another thing, if i don't install the AMT driver the computer doesn't wake up at all.

I have updated to the latest bios lately (sp44830), this might be the problem? I have windows 7 x64, with modem, fingerprint and smart card readers disabled in bois.

Anyone can help me find a solution for this?

ps: (i would like to disable AMT, if anyone can send the utility please give me a message)

Top Student
alexei
Message 2 of 8 (5,638 Views)

Re: Elitebook 8730w - Keyboard and mouse dead after stand-by

I taught That I was the only one with a similar problem.

Did you find a solution for this problem?

My problem is similar as yours

Your problem at least is that after waking up. But My problem is, that When working, typing windows looses connectivity with the keyboard and touchpad.

after logging off and logging back in , I can use the keyboard and touchpad again. It happened with Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit and 64 bits.

I have let HP repair dealer for my country to check things out, they say the hardware is okay, but the only thing i did not let them use the harddrive, due to confidential data on it. But my problem is that it looses connectivity at random, sometimes after 45 minutes or after 4 hours. The laptop hangs also when I'm  in screensaver mode. the screen saver hangs, and the only way to get it out is to do a hard reset(holding the power button for 20 seconds). It hanged also, sometimes during usage of the laptop. I need to do a hard reset.

I have started Windows without start up programs to no avail. does the same. Does someone has a solution or know what is causing this?

Top Student
alexei
Message 3 of 8 (5,560 Views)

I have found a possible solution.

What was causing that Windows looses connectivity with the keyboard and touchpad was the NVIDIA video drivers. I have installed new drivers for windows 7 and this was causing this. I have to monitor it for a couple of days more, since 3 days I dis not encounter this problem anymore.

I have deinstalled the NVIDIA drivers, and installed the drivers of the NVIDIA driver from the HP website. And now it is working like it should. no keyboard hangs anymore.

Zooliat, maybe you can try this!

Honor Student
spruce22
Message 4 of 8 (5,429 Views)

Hi Alexei - I'm having the same issue as you.  Randomly while I'm using my Elitebook 8730 the keyboard and touchpad stop working.  The OS isn't frozen, as if I plug an external mouse in it still operates the mouse cursor.  Were you, or anyone else able to resolve this issue?

Honor Student
spruce22
Message 5 of 8 (5,427 Views)

Whoops, I see that you already possibly answered my question.  Do you mind if I ask you you were able to determine that it was the NVidia drivers causing the issue?  I'm going to try your solution anyway, I was just curious how you reached that conclustion.

Thanks for any help.

Student
amattas
Message 6 of 8 (5,326 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm having this exact problem too. I've actually had my motherboard replaced with no luck. This is what I've done so far.

• Installed all the official HP drivers
  • Updated to the latest Bios version, and even tried the two versions prior to that
  • Also tried older versions of the Nvidia video driver
  • Tried the latest NVidia drivers from NVidia themselves.
  • Replaced the motherboard
  • Clean installed my OS

I'm running the 64bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate, I have the NVidia quadro m2700 with 4gb of memory. I can get detailed specs if anyone is interested.

And to be clear on the problem it manifests as a hard freeze, however if I plug a USB keyboard and mouse in those work fine, just the onboard keyboard/mouse don't. The quick launch buttons also work too. If I put the computer to sleep and bring it back online the keyboard and mouse start working again. Not a great solution for someone who has to be on the VPN to work :-)

Student
timmagnus2
Message 7 of 8 (3,261 Views)

Same problem on ubuntu linux... Hoped installing it would fix it. 

Top Student
alexei
Message 8 of 8 (3,247 Views)

Dear all,

My problem got solved by installing a new motherboard and keyboard. After  I went like 3 times to the HP dealer and after they have tested and checked everything themselves the only option left was to install a new motherboard and keyboard. So they order the parts and once they arrived I went back to the dealer and they installed the new parts.

After that it happened like 3 times and right now I can not recall when was the last time it happened and I use this laptop a lot, more than 40 hours a week.

We have ordered like 6 of these laptops, and another colleague had to do the same, they had to install a new keyboard. what happened to him was even worse it had something to do with a mechanical failure of the keyboards and

peripheral equipment.

Other than that this laptop performs just fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation