Question

Honor Student
ds0934
Message 1 of 12 (736 Views)
Accepted Solution

Elitebook 9470m locking up

I've running Windows 8 Pro on my Elitebook 9470m for months without any troubles, and haven't added any new applications or utilities.  However, in the past two weeks it's been locking up at random times where I can still use the trackpad and tracking stick, but the keyboard and touchpad clicks do absolutely nothing.  The only way out I've found is to do a hard-reset.  Has anyone else been experiencing this on this model?

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 2 of 12 (718 Views)

Re: Elitebook 9470m locking up

Hello ds0934,

I understand that your computer is freezing.

Turn off the computer.
As you power it back on tap the F2 key. This will load hardware diagnostics.
Run the startup test.

This will test all the hardware in the system and detect any problems.

Your system is one of our business models.

Your question may be better answered on our business forums.

Here is a link to the business forums.

Honor Student
ds0934
Message 3 of 12 (709 Views)

Thank you! After running the diag tests I discovered I was behind on a few firmware updates. After installing them it seems to be working much better.
Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 4 of 12 (704 Views)

ds0934,

You’re welcome.

I’m glad to hear everything is working.

Honor Student
B0bL
Message 5 of 12 (598 Views)

Hi Anthony! Not meaning to hijack the thread but I'm having the same problem with mine. I've actually reset the computer to factory settings (three times) but it's doing the same thing. I've updated all the drivers and installed all the Windows updates. I've tried using a different hard drive and tried different memory sticks. What happens with mine is the spinning circle pops up on wireless network icon and stays there. HP Support crashes, and I can't open my internet explorer or task manager. And just like the person who started this post, I've had to do a hard restart everytime.

Regents Professor
SuperMario1
Message 6 of 12 (585 Views)

Hello B0bL. In order to assist you, I need to ask a few more questions:

What computer do you have?

What OS do you have?

Have you had this issue since you first owned the laptop?

Have you changed any hardware parts lately?

Please respond as soon as possible. If you need help determining the product info, refer to this link below. I'm only here to help!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07555

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" next to it to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
B0bL
Message 7 of 12 (582 Views)

Running Windows 7 Pro stock parts never had a problem since purchase in Feb. Switched out ram and hdd to see if those were defective but had similar results.
Honor Student
B0bL
Message 8 of 12 (581 Views)

PS it's an elitebook 9470m
Regents Professor
SuperMario1
Message 9 of 12 (575 Views)

Can you elaborate on what you are implying when you say "similar results"? Also, have you ran any hardware diagnostics on the computer to check if an issue is detected? I'm going to refer you to the link below, and will explain the diagnostics and how to perform them. Let me know the results as soon as possible.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01443317

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" next to it to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
B0bL
Message 10 of 12 (574 Views)

It hangs up and programs become unresponsive after startup. Can't even shut down or open task manager. I've ran all the available diagnostics in bios and they're all clear.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation