Question

Tutor
vaporeon
Message 1 of 17 (405 Views)

Envy dv6 problems

I have a few issues with my laptop. The laptop is about 3 months old and is not working the way it should with very simple stuff. I'm in school now for game art and design and needed a more powerful computer then what I was using before so I bought a custom quad edition to help with that. My problems with it come from the wireless connections and the "sleep" mode.

From time to time the laptop just drops the internet connection if I'm on wireless. I'm not sure if it does this with a wired connection or not. When the wireless connection disconnects, it does not reconnect. When I click on the wireless bar symbol on the lower right hand side to bring up the connection options and attemp a reconnect, nothing comes up. Its as if the symbol is a dead button not linked to a command. I cant even reset the driver or the wireless option as its like the whole wireless system is just dead. This forces me to restart the whole system to get it working again. This is very inconvenient.

The screen is another thing. When I close the lid on the laptop, its suppose to go to sleep mode. When I do this and open the lid up, the computer should wake up, bringing me back to the logon screen. It does not. The screen stays black and never turns on. The computer is still powered but the screen never turns on. This forces me to do a hard turn off and restart. This can force me to lose a lot of work and did one time. I run a lot of graphic software on my computer and I cant afford to lose anything.

Both these problems should not exist on modern laptops and I spent over 800 for this computer. I need to know what going on here.

Thanks.

Tutor
vaporeon
Message 2 of 17 (385 Views)

Re: Envy dv6 problems

Anything?

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 3 of 17 (375 Views)

Could you please give me the exact product number for your computer?

If you need help finding it, you can use the following link:

Also, what version of Windows are you using?

Thanks,
Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
vaporeon
Message 4 of 17 (373 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm using Windows 8 my serial number is {Personal Information Removed} and my product number is C2Y41AV.

Thanks.

Tutor
vaporeon
Message 5 of 17 (343 Views)

Anything on this. The issue is getting worse.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 6 of 17 (326 Views)

I would first recommend that you update your BIOS, it includes an update that helps optimize the memory system for better performance and they could definitely help you out a lot.

Here is a link to the BIOS update: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-115745-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Try that and let me know if it helps any.

Best of luck,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
vaporeon
Message 7 of 17 (321 Views)

I updated the BIOS. I'll play around with it for a bit then update you on it.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 8 of 17 (316 Views)

No problem, just let me know if you see any improvements! If not, I will see if there is anything else that we can do. 

Signature
Tutor
vaporeon
Message 9 of 17 (315 Views)

So I still have issues with the wireless. Windows tells me it properly or it may be broken. This makes be believe there is something wrong with the hardware itself of the driver is not stable.
Tutor
vaporeon
Message 10 of 17 (294 Views)

The computer still does not go into sleep mode properly. Could it be due to a overheating problem. I noticed when the fans are working hard, it does not power off like it should when I close the lid.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation