Question

Top Student
frank_bo
Message 2 of 11 (7,295 Views)

Error status: 0xc00000e9

1. Presario CQ56 108 SL (product XP264EAHABZ)
2. Windows 7 64-bit
3. error status 0xc00000e9 (hard disk 1 quick test: 303)
4. Simply removing the usb cable of my mobile phone if I remember well

Hi everybody. I'm travelling with my Compaq Presario CQ56-108 SL and since I'll be away from home for three months (far away) I made two partitions on the hd. One is the main one (the original one, with Windows 7 64-bit) and another one with Windows 7 32 bit.
Everything was going great until yesterday.
I was using the first partition (64 bit) for everything included surfing the net, chatting, checking the email, graphics, video and so on) while the second one (32 bit) was devoted to the music since I'm a musician and I only configured it with my audio softwares and plugins.
But now I'm writing to you from this partition because it's the only one which is actually working!
Infact everytime I try to log into the first partition (64 bits) it hangs and then i receive the error message that NLS data is maybe damaged or missing (status 0xc00000e9).
I tried with a repair disk, but nothing. (the original installation dvd remained at home unfortunately) So I tried also the built in utilities where I was only able to see the result of the hard disk 1 quick test: 303 and the test wasn't completed. Even the built in recover didn't work.
I read on some forums that usually the 303 error means that the hard disk is dead or about to die, but this computer is quite new (I've started to use it since few months) and anyway if it was dead also the 32 bit partition shouldn't work , instead is working great.
But I need the other partition back, since I configured all the email accounts and the web logs for the pages I need to check regularly and I've not written them elsewhere. That's why I'm so desperate. It's more than 24 hours that I try, without success.
I think the computer is still in warranty, but I'm in Asia and of course i don't have the warranty with me, so I can only wait, but I can't!
So I hope that someone could suggest me another attempt to try to fix the corrupted partition.
Thanks a lot in advance, I wait for your help :-)))
Happy Sunday everybody

P.S.: I've also just finished talking in chat with a technician here, but in the end he told me that he's rpviding assistance only for USA & Canada, so he told me to contact the malaysia support and that I could recieve a replacement hard disk from them (since I'll be in Malaysia until February 10th 2012) delivered here in Kuala Lumpur, without any charge since my computer is still on warranty, even if bought in Italy. He also told me that all the conversation has been recorded in HP database, so I hope to not wait too much further. Thanks again

F R A N C O T U R R A
Top Student
frank_bo
Message 1 of 11 (7,293 Views)

Windows 7 (64 bit) partition corrupted but NOT the other 1 on the same disk (Seven 32 bit)

1. Presario CQ56 108 SL (product XP264EAHABZ)

2. Windows 7 64-bit
3. error status 0xc00000e9 (hard disk 1 quick test: 303)
4. Simply removing the usb cable of my mobile phone if I remember well 

Hi everybody. I'm travelling with my Compaq Presario CQ56-108 SL and since I'll be away from home for three months (far away) I made two partitions on the hd. One is the main one (the original one, with Windows 7 64-bit) and another one with Windows 7 32 bit.

Everything was going great until yesterday.
I was using the first partition (64 bit) for everything included surfing the net, chatting, checking the email, graphics, video and so on) while the second one (32 bit) was devoted to the music since I'm a musician and I only configured it with my audio softwares and plugins.
But now I'm writing to you from this partition because it's the only one which is actually working!
Infact everytime I try to log into the first partition (64 bits) it hangs and then i receive the error message that NLS data is maybe damaged or missing (status 0xc00000e9). 
I tried with a repair disk, but nothing. (the original installation dvd remained at home unfortunately) So I tried also the built in utilities where I was only able to see the result of the hard disk 1 quick test: 303 and the test wasn't completed. Even the built in recover didn't work.
I read on some forums that usually the 303 error means that the hard disk is dead or about to die, but this computer is quite new (I've started to use it since few months) and anyway if it was dead also the 32 bit partition shouldn't work , instead is working great.
But I need the other partition back, since I configured all the email accounts and the web logs for the pages I need to check regularly and I've not written them elsewhere. That's why I'm so desperate. It's more than 24 hours that I try, without success.
I think the computer is still in warranty, but I'm in Asia and of course i don't have the warranty with me, so I can only wait, but I can't!
So I hope that someone could suggest me another attempt to try to fix the corrupted partition.
Thanks a lot in advance, I wait for your help :-)))
Happy Sunday everybody

F R A N C O T U R R A
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 3 of 11 (7,280 Views)

Re: Windows 7 (64 bit) partition corrupted but NOT the other 1 on the same disk (Seven 32 bit)

error 303 usually means no bootable OS found (for any particular partition)

First, back up any important data you don't want to lose.

I would download the hard drive manufacturers hard disk diagnostic utility, make a boot disk and run that extended diagnostic on the drive.

This is the best way to see what issues if any the hard drive has,

See this page for links to HD manufacturers utilities, 3rd post under "manual check"

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/How-to-test-RAM-and-HDD-Hard-Drive/td-p/...

Sometimes it takes 3 or more startup repairs in a row to get a partiton bootable again.

Top Student
frank_bo
Message 4 of 11 (7,272 Views)

Re: Windows 7 (64 bit) partition corrupted but NOT the other 1 on the same disk (Seven 32 bit)

Thank you so much for your precious suggestion that I'm gonna follow soon. (tomorrow I'll go to buy an external hard disk so I can do a complete backup of the internal hard drive) but may I ask you a further question?
Since I have two different independent partitions on the same hard disk, wouldn't it be possible if i skip the boot disk creation and I run the extended diagnostic only on the damaged partition? Do you think it's possible?
And another thing: tonight a friend of mine a DVD of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit in Italian, that's the o.s. that was corrupted. Do you think it's useless or dangerous to try the option "repair" using it? (until now I only tried a simple "repair disk" that i downloaded from the web...)
Please let me know as soon as possible. Thank you so much and have a wonderful week,

Franco Turra

F R A N C O T U R R A
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 5 of 11 (7,269 Views)

No, you need to run the diagnostic software, it does not test partitions, it tests the hard drive complete which is what you need to do.

Back up your data then test the hard drive as suggested Before you do anything else.

Top Student
frank_bo
Message 6 of 11 (7,267 Views)

Ah ok, so now I'm doing a backup with Acronis true image of the entire HD and then I run the diagnostic.
But there's a problem: I've checked, and the internal HD on my presario CQ56 108SL is SAMSUNG, and it isn't listed in the options you gave me. What to do now? Thanks again for your patience :-)
Ciao

F R A N C O T U R R A
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 7 of 11 (7,264 Views)

Here is the link for the Samsung ES Tool  CDROM ISO image, burn to disc as an Image.

Its not the easiest to use, be careful what commands you run.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Top Student
frank_bo
Message 8 of 11 (7,257 Views)

Thank you so much! I will tell you about the result.
In the meantime I will be also able to get a full dvd of Windows Seven Home premium (like the one I have installed it on my lost partition as default) so I can also try the repair procedure from there. (since I'm not fully convinced that the hard disk is really faulty)
Talk to you later and thanks again, bye!

F R A N C O T U R R A
Top Student
frank_bo
Message 9 of 11 (7,246 Views)

Bad news. :-(
At first I tried to repair the O.S. (Windows 7 home premium) with a dvd that a friend of mine borrowed me. I received the message that this option was not available with the operative system I have on my partition.
Then I did other self diagnostic tests (the built in ones by HP) and I wrote down the results.

In the RUN IN TEST the diagnostic log showed the errors 303 & 305.

The primary hard disk self test of tje hard disk 1 (the internal one) was 100% completed with (305) error, smart check hard disk smart passed.

At the ultimate solution I tried to run the SAMSUNG ES TOOL that I previously burned on a dvd.
I didn't understand well, but I received a sort of error message at the beginning. On the D: partition there was the ram disk and onnly another partition was there, the C:
I opened it but I didn't recognize my files so I closed it and I felt so sad...
What now? Do I have to ask for a replacement hard disk now since I'm still on warranty or there's a last attempt I can try to revive my corrupted partition? It's very strange. It's the first time I've not been able to fix a problem on my pc... :-(
Presario doesn't help so much... :-(

F R A N C O T U R R A
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 10 of 11 (7,243 Views)

This is a user to user forum, Contact HP directly, they will guide you on what to do next to get it repaired under warranty

USA
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html

Everywhere else
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

If you do not want to mess with warranty, and shipping your notebook off, replace the hard drive yourself and put the Acronis backup image on the new drive, you can get a 500gb drive for about $100 or less in the USA.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation