Re: Explorer.exe crashes repeatedly (496 Views)
Honor Student
rwward
Message 1 of 9 (509 Views)

Explorer.exe crashes repeatedly

I have an Envy 14 XG978UA laptop.

I am able to boot up my computer and log in, but, shortly after, when I try to open programs or, really, do anything, explorer.exe freezes and I am eventually forced to restart my computer. I know that it's explorer.exe because windows tells me - the "program is not responding, what do you want to do" window pops up.

This is the second serious problem I've had recently - the hard drive failed a little while ago, and was replaced. This new problem began about a week after the computer was returned to me with a new hard drive. 

So far, I've tested the memory and the hard drive; the RAM made it through a full pass of Memtest86+ with no problems, and passed the short hard drive tests I've run so far; I'm currently running a long hard drive test. However, given the nature of the problem (not geting bluescreens, computer not shutting down randomly, just explorer freezing) it seems a little bit more likely to be a software problem, I think?

Anyway - what can I try next?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 9 (500 Views)

Re: Explorer.exe crashes repeatedly

Hi rwward,

What is the installed operating system?

What were you doing when this first happened?

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up***

****Please mark Accept As Solution if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
rwward
Message 3 of 9 (499 Views)

I'm running windows 7 home premium. I think it first happened while I was using Microsoft Word 2010; the program locked up, and then I right-clicked on Word on the taskbar to try to close it, and the taskbar got greyed out and I got the message about explorer having crashed. It has since happened with a variety of programs, including Google Chrome and explorer itself (browsing folders.)

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 9 (496 Views)

In the Search programs and Files box type cmd and then right-click on and select run as administrator on the top CMD icon that appears above.

In the command prompt window that appears type sfc /scannow and press the enter key. That will invoke and run the system file checker utility that is an integral part of the Windows operating system. Let it run to completion.

(the system file checker will inspect all system files and replace those it deems to be corrupt or otherwise damaged with a fresh copy)

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up***

****Please mark Accept As Solution if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****

Honor Student
rwward
Message 5 of 9 (494 Views)

I ran that in safe mode with command prompt and it found no problems. Anything else I could try? Thanks for your help, by the way.

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 6 of 9 (493 Views)

Hi,

Check the link below and use Microsoft Fix It:

How to reset Internet Explorer settings

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Provost
erico
Message 7 of 9 (492 Views)

Go back to the command prompt and type chkdsk /f at startup.

Honor Student
rwward
Message 8 of 9 (451 Views)

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but - I ran chkdsk and the computer worked for about two days, and then, this morning, the old problem returned. I booted in safe mode and ran chkdsk at startup again, and it's working now, but this doesn't seem like a permanent solution.

Master's Graduate
SSDdrive
Message 9 of 9 (438 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I see that you've been having a hard time. However, your problem is a simple one. I had to do this with my Presario a while back, okay? But follow the simple instructions to the letter, okay? If you feel comfortable editing the register without editing this is your fix, okay?

Explorer.exe is located in the SysWOW64 directory, but my best guess in your case is that Windows is looking for it in the Windows\System32 file. To fix this please COPY Explorer.exe (DO NOT MOVE!) COPY from the SysWOW64 folder and PASTE it anywhere in the Windows\System32 folder. This should stop the annoying freezing.

If this helped, please checked Solved. Thank you.

If it were a rattler. . . .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation