Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I write this as a favor to anybody who has this problem.

No boot orange wireless light and 1 blink on the caps lock.

The fans turn, the dvd makes a sound and all seems well but no boot!

On the HP website it said Cpu malfunction.  But maybe not...

I looked on the web and found numerous cures.  Most of which seemed too extreme for me.  I am not going to put a laptop in the oven!

The general concensus is that the cause is a bad soldering job on the motherboards.  That it is not the CPU but heat from a badly designed motherboard.

That seems correct and I was going to dump the unit..  But maybe...

I got a can of condensed air and blew into the vents.  no good.

Then, after I thought about it some more.  I decided to remove the back and blow through every hole I could find using the narrow flexible tube that came with the air can.

Still nothing.  I then removed the hard drive, the dvd writer and the memory and blew through any hole underneath them.  Got the beeps about no memory so I put the memory back, but only the memory.

And.. the darn thing booted!

I turned it off.  Blew a lot more into the vents until I heard the fan spin.  I reinserted the hard drive.  It worked!

I finally put back the dvd writer and put the back on.  And it works fine!

I realize that I was lucky but it might help someone else avoid messing with the innards..  Give it a try before you operate!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

... I forgot to add:  also remove the battery and the adapter as well as the drives and memory.

.... I also realized that I was not clear.  Although the motherboard is an issue in my case it was just heat.   It could just be heat with yours..

there are a lots of possible causes ...in this case it was not the wiring. 

I would suggest that you try this and other means before stripping down your unit.  I saw it done on the web and it is a pain.  Really looks hard to get back together.  Forget a screw or a connection and back in you have to go!

HP Recommended
Thank you SO much for posting this as I'm having the exact same issue. I didn't think CPU either as mine would randomly boot, but only when I was holding the laptop in my hand in a certain area. It could be a coincidence, but 4 out of 5 times it has started.

I tried reseating the memory, but that didn't change anything. I have gotten the error code saying the fan was disabled or something to that effect. Would you suggest purchasing an external fan?

This is an old post. I'm curious to know if your unit is still working or if you have had it replaced?
HP Recommended

Still working although if i grab it the wrong way it turns off and i have to reboot.  Probably the battery connection.   If the fan isn't turning give it a prod to see if it's just a little gummy.  If it doesn't turn you might need a new one..

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have same issue with an HP Envy 17t-n000, black screen, caps lock blink 1 time, fan and dvd writer are working; I tried a hard reset, removed harddisk, removed fan (also cleaned them) but my laptop won't boot. Still black screen.

Someone told me that it might be the CPU because of thermal paste caught dust or something else and that burned the CPU. Could you please reply and give a feedback? I know you wrote your steps above, but.... You know.

Thank you in advance!

HP Recommended
Spoiler
My experience of the DV series and CQ56...If its not the RAM, and removing drives don't prompt it, Yes it could be the cpu... but not damaged per say or it could be the solder connection of the GPU (located next to the CPU, sharing the same heat plate....grab:
Isopropanol (99.9 pure)
good quality thermal paste
Makeup cotton pads
Presurrised canned Air

Make sure you do the usual stuff ...disconnected from mains, remove battery, antistat yourself.
Get to the CPU (TONNES OF HOW TO VIDS"
Remove CPU, air clean the laptop thoroughly including the CPU holes
Remove old paste from CPU, apply new thin layer of thermal paste 
Tack the unit (ie put the laptop together but don't replace any of the back screws)

switch it on... If not o.k its more likely the Graphics Chip (GPU) and the now famous "reflow".

Seriously... Type in "dv6 reflow" "dv9000 reflow" or "G6 reflow" you'll see quick a few vids on this issue and the cause...best fix is reflow with "rosin flux".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.