Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Whenever I use the touchpad lock feature on the laptop (the little orange button in the upper left corner of the touchpad) I can't get it to unlock. It is something that only started happening recently, not that I use it all that often, but I know at the end of May it was working. Don't know if it was an update I did or what but I need that functionality back.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, after spending the last hour on the phone with tech support. Here is what we did that fixed the problem.

1) Updated the driver from HP. (I had already done this, but we did it again.)

2) Updated the BIOS from F.07 to F.17 using the download on HP's website.

After doing this, a message box popped up saying that the keyboard and pointing device errors had been resolved. After a restart, everything was working as usual again.

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
HP Recommended

Mine started doing the same thing. Once it is locked, I can't unlock it... I have to restart my computer to unlock it. Not good.

HP Recommended

me having same **bleep** problem... it locks, then i can't unlock it again. i tried updating the synaptics driver to the one provided at the synaptics web page and then back to the one hp provides, non of them working either. by the way i noticed windows updates detects the one that hp provides like an old one and updates it.

**bleep**ed by this issue, i can only reactivate by going to muse and clicking activate or by fast switching user. it sucks.

HP Recommended

To fix this double tap the red light on your touchpad and it'll unlock it

tenfoldit.com

HP Recommended

Duh!  If that worked, then it wouldn't be stuck, would it.

I have the same problem,  I started after driver update.  Tried to roll back the driver, but it did not work either.

There is a way to make it work without re-boot:

control panel > mouse >  device settings >  click on 'enable' - button.

Here is how to do it from the keyboard:

Press windows key

press 'down' until 'settings' is hilited, press enter, select control panel, press enter

press 'M',  Press enter

Use ctrl-tab to open the 'device settings' -tab

Press alt-e to enable the touchpad.

It is a pain to have to go through, but will work when you need to quickly activate the touchpad without re-booting the machine.  

I am glad to hear others are having this problem, too.   I hope it means HP will fix it soon. 

HP Recommended

Mine started doing this as well....only 60 days old....touchpad locks up and wont unlock....very bad to happen in the middle of a PPT presentation in front of 200 people....come on HP....we should have a better product performance than this! 

i either have to do a hard re-set or flip the lid down and bring the computer back up.....after several embarrasing seconds of blank screen! 

Very disappointed HP user....

Jim

HP Recommended

Please try doing Recovery Manager>Hardware Drivers Re-installation>Synaptics touchpad Driver and re-install it...

hope it helps... 

HP Recommended

Thanks LFMD3!!! it worked!!!

guys, remember to unninstall the synaptics driver you have installed before installing the first one with the recovery manager, for doing so, go to control panel, unninstall a program, and unninstall the synaptics driver. after taht you can go to recovery manager

HP Recommended

Hi. I started having this issue as well. Just tried to do the uninstall/reinstall of the driver and now the trackpad doesn't work at all whether enabled or not. The driver seems to be running, but the trackpad does nothing.

Any suggestions for how I can fix this?

HP Recommended

Alright, I was able to get the trackpad working again by installing the Synaptics driver from HP's website. However, now I still have the problem of not being able to unlock the trackpad after locking it without going into the device settings and changing it from there.

The workaround that I am using for now is to check the box for disabling the trackpad when a USB mouse is connected. This seems to at least re-enable the trackpad when I unplug the mouse and will at least decrease the liklihood of a bigger problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.