Question

Student
tgitau
Message 1 of 33 (129,560 Views)
Accepted Solution

G62 Touchpad lock stuck

Whenever I use the touchpad lock feature on the laptop (the little orange button in the upper left corner of the touchpad) I can't get it to unlock. It is something that only started happening recently, not that I use it all that often, but I know at the end of May it was working. Don't know if it was an update I did or what but I need that functionality back.

Student
jentekk
Message 2 of 33 (129,417 Views)

Re: G62 Touchpad lock stuck

Mine started doing the same thing. Once it is locked, I can't unlock it... I have to restart my computer to unlock it. Not good.

Honor Student
GatoVolador24
Message 3 of 33 (129,255 Views)

me having same **bleep** problem... it locks, then i can't unlock it again. i tried updating the synaptics driver to the one provided at the synaptics web page and then back to the one hp provides, non of them working either. by the way i noticed windows updates detects the one that hp provides like an old one and updates it.

**bleep**ed by this issue, i can only reactivate by going to muse and clicking activate or by fast switching user. it sucks.

Honor Student
jdettmer
Message 4 of 33 (129,015 Views)

[ Edited ]

To fix this double tap the red light on your touchpad and it'll unlock it

tenfoldit.com

Student
mrtapi
Message 5 of 33 (128,979 Views)

Duh!  If that worked, then it wouldn't be stuck, would it.

I have the same problem,  I started after driver update.  Tried to roll back the driver, but it did not work either.

There is a way to make it work without re-boot:

control panel > mouse >  device settings >  click on 'enable' - button.

Here is how to do it from the keyboard:

Press windows key

press 'down' until 'settings' is hilited, press enter, select control panel, press enter

press 'M',  Press enter

Use ctrl-tab to open the 'device settings' -tab

Press alt-e to enable the touchpad.

It is a pain to have to go through, but will work when you need to quickly activate the touchpad without re-booting the machine.  

I am glad to hear others are having this problem, too.   I hope it means HP will fix it soon. 

Student
jimcollogan
Message 6 of 33 (128,752 Views)

Mine started doing this as well....only 60 days old....touchpad locks up and wont unlock....very bad to happen in the middle of a PPT presentation in front of 200 people....come on HP....we should have a better product performance than this! 

i either have to do a hard re-set or flip the lid down and bring the computer back up.....after several embarrasing seconds of blank screen! 

Very disappointed HP user....

Jim

Intern
LFMD3
Message 7 of 33 (128,726 Views)

Please try doing Recovery Manager>Hardware Drivers Re-installation>Synaptics touchpad Driver and re-install it...

hope it helps... 

Honor Student
GatoVolador24
Message 8 of 33 (128,693 Views)

Thanks LFMD3!!! it worked!!!

guys, remember to unninstall the synaptics driver you have installed before installing the first one with the recovery manager, for doing so, go to control panel, unninstall a program, and unninstall the synaptics driver. after taht you can go to recovery manager

Top Student
drb86
Message 9 of 33 (128,166 Views)

Hi. I started having this issue as well. Just tried to do the uninstall/reinstall of the driver and now the trackpad doesn't work at all whether enabled or not. The driver seems to be running, but the trackpad does nothing.

Any suggestions for how I can fix this?

Top Student
drb86
Message 10 of 33 (128,150 Views)

Alright, I was able to get the trackpad working again by installing the Synaptics driver from HP's website. However, now I still have the problem of not being able to unlock the trackpad after locking it without going into the device settings and changing it from there.

The workaround that I am using for now is to check the box for disabling the trackpad when a USB mouse is connected. This seems to at least re-enable the trackpad when I unplug the mouse and will at least decrease the liklihood of a bigger problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation