Question

Student
pirates712
Message 1 of 13 (3,014 Views)

HDX16 Freezes up when unplugged

I have an HDX 16 that has been upgraded to windows 7 that basically lives on my desk, on plug in power 95% of the time. Recently I noticed that when I unplug it, the cpu usages goes to 100% and the computer becomes unusable. All programs are slow or crash. What could be the cause of this? I am running antivirus and scans have found nothing.

Thanks a bunch!

Professor
Charles001
Message 2 of 13 (3,038 Views)

Re: HDX16 Freezes up when unplugged

The battery probably is going, maybe that's why when you unplug, the system is busy trying to save data and go into hibernation. How long does it last with battery?

======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Top Student
Freak
Message 3 of 13 (3,025 Views)

is there a way to be sure its a battery problem?

i dont want to spent money to buy one then still get the problem lol

Associate Professor
Sanchertx
Message 4 of 13 (3,001 Views)

Battery Health check

Click start :

Type - Hp battery check and then select it

Run the check to see what the health of the battery is, if it fails.

Call Hp support for replacement/.

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
Honor Student
Ph8e1
Message 5 of 13 (2,986 Views)

I have this same issue. I have an HDX18 and whenever i unplug it while it is running it freezes up completely. If i start it up on battery power it runs but  is extremely slow. Ran battery health check and it said batttery was "good."

Student
360vidguy
Message 6 of 13 (2,948 Views)

I have the same problem with my HDX16 64 bit running Windows 7.  When I start unplugged evertything is fine, but when I unplug after starting, CPU usage goes to 100%.  This is a new computer and when I ran the battery check it says the battery is good.  I suspect this must be a Windows 7 issue because the problem didn't start until I upgraded from Vista.  Anybody have a solution yet?

Thanks!

Top Student
Freak
Message 7 of 13 (2,890 Views)

[ Edited ]

me and   360vidguy have exactly the same PC with the same problem ...i didnt get it until i install win7. and battery check say "good".

any suggestion? ty~

Honor Student
Ph8e1
Message 8 of 13 (2,830 Views)

Problem fized for me. I jstu had to download a bios update.

Honor Student
momchilganev
Message 9 of 13 (2,810 Views)

Hi, i also have the HDX16t-1200 and I have updated to the latest bios firmware which is 32.A if I am not mistaking. When I unplug the power cord, it starts to crash. I am running windows 7 64-bit version. I have made changes in the power settings in control panel but noting changes.

I both the hdx16 with the 12 cell battery so that I can use it outdoors and now it’s useless

PS: If HP is interested of keeping their clients in such a terrible financial year (worldwide), please do solve the problem

Thank you!

BR Momchil Ganev

Honor Student
stefanoman
Message 10 of 13 (2,796 Views)

I had this exact problem (among several others that are still ongoing) after upgrading to Windows 7 Home Premium 64.  What seems to have worked for me is the following procedure I found after extensive searching forums:

-  Go to the volume control and right click

-  open "playback devices"

-  select "speakers and dual headphones" and "properties"

-  then go to the "enhancements" tab and disable all enhancements.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation