HELP! My HP Pavilion dv6700 has a black screen! (32712 Views)
Student
BrooklynChic101
Message 1 of 26 (32,712 Views)

HELP! My HP Pavilion dv6700 has a black screen!

Hi,

My laptop's (HP Pavilion dv6700) screen started going in and out today, and now the screen is completely black, BUT I can see the back light is still working. Can anybody tell me what my best option is for remedying this?  I have pictures and documents that I would like to retrieve off of this laptop, also. Any advice?  My 2 year warranty is up (I'm pretty sure), and I have dropped it a few times. =/  BUT, it was working glitch-free about 2-3 days ago, and I hadn't dropped it recently.

Thanks!

Top Student
Truth-Finder
Message 2 of 26 (32,680 Views)

Re: HELP! My HP Pavilion dv6700 has a black screen!

The problem with the Black screen on HP laptops is that they used a graphics chip which was faulty and overheats. They should have recalled all of these but didn´t. They should have stopped their stockists from selling the rest of their stock with these faulty graphics chips and had them sent back to HP for rework/replacement boards, but you guessed it, they didn´t. So what you have now is a machine that you would expect to last 4 or 5 years at the price you paid for it but which has (if you are lucky) lasted for around two years and the chip has finally burned out leaving you with no option but to pay and inflated price to repair or buy another PC (making sure of course it doesn´t have an Nvidia graphics chip onboard).

There are literally thousands of people out here who are fuming over this problem, and the facts that HP has so far not recognised it as a design fault and offered to do something for their customers. Do a search and you´ll find out the real scale of the problem. Youtube has videos of the problem and people who say some of these laptop PCs can be repaired but the method involved is tricky to say the least. I hope this answers your immediate question about what is wrong. One guy here in Denmark replaced the board at great expense only to have it fail with the same problem two months later, because they fitted the same board with the same faulty chip.

Grad Student
davezorz
Message 3 of 26 (32,674 Views)

First off, I would like to point out what a recall is. A recall is normally issued when there is a safety issue at hand, and there was not for these motherboards. Secondly I would like to note that IF the computer had the same motherboard as the faulty models, then the repair is discounted heavily by HP, not inflated.

HP has taken care of the computers that had this particular motherboard and they have even gone the extra mile to include some models that didn't even have the same parts. Also, if you search for a failed product on the internet by any major company you will find thousands of angry customers.

Message 4 of 26 (32,657 Views)

I know what a recall is and I think these should have been recalled because of the fire hazard involved. I´m surprised mine didn´t catch fire with the amount of heat it generated, I couldn´t touch it where it was over-heating.

You say that HP has taken care of the computers that had this motherboard, well they didn´t have the professional coourtesy to inform me when I asked what else could be causing the overheating after being informed me that my battery was not one of the recalled ones. So they didn´t take care of mine and now the warranty has run out and the machine has completely stopped working.

Added to that the website is a bloated over complicated crock which takes you around in circles and wastes your time. Three hours I spent tonight trying to get the service arranged to have a new motherboard or an exchange or whatever and finally when I thought I had it nailed, it took me to the U.S. site  where it started all over again.

I´m beginning to think its the standard we can expect from HP and I am not amused with my time being wasted. I guess I´ll have to go through it all again tomorrow as it is now 12.30 a.m. here in Denmark.

Honor Student
ultrawires
Message 5 of 26 (32,646 Views)

"Discounted heavily" - It should not discounted. It should be FREE. Since it has been acknowledge as a fault (internally or publicly). Why should HP customers have to pay for a faulty product - which should have been identified in the product design and testing stage before going into production and into the market place.

"gone the extra mile to include some models that didn't even have the same parts" - If the models did not have the same parts, why was this extra mile undertaken?

"failed product on the internet by any major company" - I guess HP aspires to be just like any big company with thousands of angry customers. I wonder what Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard would say about this!

-ultrawires

Even though I do not work for HP, my post comes my years of being a customer with HP (think X11-windows and HP-UX workstations)

Grad Student
davezorz
Message 6 of 26 (32,625 Views)

[ Edited ]

ultrawires, it was free for most people. If the computer went past that extended warranty period the repair was discounted heavily. The reason behind this is because computers are going to fail at some point in time, that is a known fact. The service enhancement should not have gone on for 5 years while people called in getting repairs for something that wasn't related to the original issue.

They did go the extra mile for a customer service stand point, so maybe you're saying they should not have done that and just left it alone.

Have you ever used google to research any other product failure? HP cannot stop angry customers from posting on the internet, just like anyone else. They do not control what their customers post, say, do, or use their computers for. Maybe you'd like to have that regulated.

And again, to Truth-Finder, recalls are usually when a safety issue is at hand. There was not a safety issue directly related to the known problem that these had. The known issue was NOT overheating. The known issues did include black screens, loss of the ability to connect wirelessly, and not booting.

Message 7 of 26 (32,600 Views)

[ Edited ]

@davezorz. I'v been taken aback by your comments ! You don't sound like a customer, in fact u sound more like a HP employee. I'll give you a scenario, think you are a HP customer and got yourself a powerful hp laptop with nvidia graphics with your hard earned money. Am sure most of the people have gone for a nvidia graphic card for a purpose and its the same with you. Suddenly after a few months of fair usage, your laptop starts to overheat profusely, whenever you place your hands on the body of it, your hands start to burn. You then complain with the hp service guys, they keep your laptop for a few weeks and then return it back to you claiming the problem has been fixed. But then a few weeks later its back to square one. It overheats and overheats. This cycle of running around the service guys keeps continuing till the day your warranty expires, ie. a period of one year gets over (Considering the scenario in India, at the moment extended warranty has been withdrawn in our country for reasons unknown). If you are overtly depended on your laptop then things will just get worse for you. Then one day when you are running some app which demands high graphic and cpu usage, your laptop burns and seizes up which i hope may not have caused any safety hazard to you, but think of it, if it does what would be your 1st reaction ? Then you do a bit of research on the net and find thousand's and thousand's of HP customers facing the same problem, what would your reaction be like ? And claiming HP to have an outstanding service/warranty and NO DESIGN FAULTS in their products then i would suggest you to give yourself a HARD KICK ON YOUR BACK. Now stop your BS'ing here, no matter what you tell us nothing's gonna change the customers opinion towards the attitude of such an esteemed company like HP is showing towards its customers. I'v been using HP for all my life right from my childhood, never did face such a problem before. Its only now. I recommended HP products to almost all the people who come to me for suggestions about purchasing computers, and i feel ashamed i did recommend it to them, considering the plight they are having to face at the moment. Only if HP would do something to protect its customers interest, i would have been proud to own a HP product, but at the moment i just regret my decision way too much.

Grad Student
davezorz
Message 8 of 26 (32,562 Views)

kailash9999, I understand why people are frustrated. I know what the issue is, I know what caused it, and I know what the fix is. As a tech point, even as a customer, I have to side with HP on this and what they did to make sure everyone was taken care of fairly. I have known people with the dv6000 as it was a popular model and I know how frustrated they were with it.

The problem that most customer's have is a sense of entitlement. You feel entitled to something because you paid money, regardless of how much it was. The point is most people did not buy an extended warranty for the notebook and the standard one was even increased by a full year. On top of that, the repair of any product by HP carries a 90 warranty. This means that if the issue was not fixed and you were out of warranty, if the repair had been done in the past 90 days, it was going to be covered.

You aren't going to be able to convince anyone of average intelligence that someone who had, at the very least, 2 years to send this notebook in for the issues they were facing should get a freebie just because. I'm sorry you feel the way you do, but the fact of the matter is that this was even handled by lawyers and this was their resolution. In my experience HP still makes good prodcuts; I am using a laptop and printer from them right now.

Message 9 of 26 (32,480 Views)

We have the same problem here... We bought the unit in the California  Best Buy and now we are here in the Philippines our HP Pavillion DV6700 (DV6735ee) Notebook have been a regularly sent to HP for warranty repair on the same issue as no screen output and apparantly HP told us that it was because of a factory defected video card. Before we did not do a research because its still under warranty and we trust HP because its a big company. However, Our HP Laptop this month again failed to open for the nth time and had already exceeded its warranty, we now just learned on our research that many customers have experienced the same issue as we have and its because of it's Nvidia's fault (bad batch of 8XXX series GPUs).  Other research I did involved techie people giving opinons on what they know:

" A lot of people are facing problems with NVIDIA chipset graphic IC, the IC is soldered in BGA technology, the main problem is the design of the IC package & lead free solder balls used, the classic symptoms of this is when you power on the laptop all the leds will blink but screen will be blank, the solution for this problems are two types

Temporary (cheap cost)
You can get it Reflow the BGA IC by a professional BGA Rework Company.Cons: may work for two three months.

Permanent( high cost)
Replace the BGA IC, Cons: laptop slows by 20% but will last for 1-2yrs."

Now, I asked HP if HP Could Extend our Warranty because the unit has been regularly sent back to them for warranty repair, told them that they have the history of repair on their database but the tech guy told me that I have to send it back to California best buy for warranty extention... huh? HP is supposed to extend the warranty not best buy right?

If any of you guys here at hp can help me then I would be honored.

Please Email me what I can do to resolve this issue. adochico@gmail.com 

My respect and expectation to HP is very high hope we resolve this issue fast.

Student
egadd1323
Message 10 of 26 (32,381 Views)

HP dv6 Notebook: Over heats too hot to touch. Screen blackens and flickers. Disappointed.

I am very disappointed by my HP Pavillion dv6 notebook purchase. I had only a year warranty as I am a college student on a budget and couldn't afford the last bit to add a few more years coverage. I figured I should at least be okay for a few years. Here are my issues:

Screen turns black often while power light is still on while I am in the middle of using it. I have to manually power it off and on to get it back up in which I lose what I was working on.

OVER HEATS SO HOT my legs were hot and red. This is so hot that it is indeed a hazard. HP should try this on on their laps so they can see it is too hot to not do something about. Is this an issue a consumer should have this far into computer technology? I have gone through two lap fans for it because it is always, always over heating and the internal fan is always going at top speed/loud. I have never had this issue with any notebook I have had and this is my first HP purchase and sorry, to be my last.

Screen flickers off and on randomly and often. Bad for a student working on a paper and wondering if computer will turn off, freeze or if they will end up losing their work. :smileysad:

Now my laptop wont turn on at all (plugged in or not) and I just used it 2 hours ago. :smileyfrustrated: It may be the battery but it shouldn't be when the battery had not slowed down or had not became faint. It was very abrupt. We will see on this one but the rest of them have caused me to reject buying another HP in my life. I am a person who believes that a company is responsible for what they put out and when they dont correct the problem, that is a sign not to buy from them. A computer is an expensive investment made every few years and you'd expect any failures or flaw or hazards like OVER HEATING to be promptly addressed. I bought it less than a year and a half ago and I am having all of these issues. It seems like others are having these issues too and it is upsetting that HP has not tried to reach out to its customers (those who may be life long loyal purchasers of their products if valued) to make this right.

I ask HP to make this right for the consumer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation