Question

Honor Student
BrotherTim0305
Message 1 of 4 (1,803 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP 2000 Notebook PC - Slow Boot / Operation

I have a HP 2000 Notebook PC that started having problems about 2 - 3 days ago.  Nothing new installed.  The boot time is at least 15 minutes and opening Windows Live Mail takes 30+ minutes.  All apps opening take several minutes during the first hour after the machine boots.

The CPU (when I can get Task Manager open) shows an average of 5% usage, but the hard drive light is constant.  Running Norton full system scan shows only tracking cookies, check disk found nothing abnormal, fix disk had no errors.

Running Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1 and all updates are applied.

Ideas?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 4 (1,798 Views)

Re: HP 2000 Notebook PC - Slow Boot / Operation

Hi,

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Bios option ( usually f10 ) and under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
BrotherTim0305
Message 3 of 4 (1,791 Views)

Memory test said "pass"

Hard Disk test says "Hard DIsk 1 Full (305)"

Which is odd, because I checked it and Windows Explorer properties said it was only about 1/4 full.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 4 (1,789 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The 305 error is a little misleading as it actually refers to a failure of the comprehensive ( Full ) Disk Self Check and would indicate that the hard drive is failing and will need to be replaced.  This is also consistent with the slow boot and response times you mention.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know - include the full Model No. and Product No. of your 2000 series notebook - see Here for a further explanation.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation