Re: HP 430 Notebook PC Keyboard Problem - Capslock key not getting disabled. (823 Views)
Top Student
djmukul
Message 1 of 4 (865 Views)

HP 430 Notebook PC Keyboard Problem - Capslock key not getting disabled.

Product Name: HP 430 Notebook PC

Product Number:   A3N12PA

Operating System installed: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

• Last week when i was starting my laptop, during bootup (viz, before 'Starting Windows' screen was shown) i pressed a key or may be a combination of two keys (dont remember which key(s) i pressed), and then the Capslock key light was ON, so at that same time i quickly pressed Capslock key to disengage the Capslock function, but the Capslock indicator didnot go OFF. So i waited for the OS to completely load and start, and than i pressed Capslock key to disengage Capslock key, but it didn't get disengaged (Capslock light was still ON). And till now i'm having the same problem.
  • After searching a lot about such problems (like stuck keys problem) on the web, i thought it could have been moisture problem, so i disassembled the keyboard from the notebook and blowed some hot air (using Hair Dryer) over and below the Capslock key area on the keyboard, but still i didnt succeed.
  • Than i came to know about Keytest software which can be used to check & test the keys of a keyboard. In Keytest it was shown that Capslock command was continuously sent to the system. I couldnt stop this using the Capslock key (It was like a dead key).
  • But day before yesterday, i discovered something new. I opened up Keytest software and observed that Capslock gets activated and deactivated if i toggle these keys: F1(Help), F8(Next Track), F12(Wifi/Bluetooth Toggle Key), +/=, B, N, Alt (Right). And Capslock command can be stopped/deactivated using Spacebar.
  • I even tried the Registry hack for disabling the Capslock key, but still didnt work.
  • This keyboard problem is really frustrating, irritating, etc, etc....

Now i have these questions for you guys..

1. Do i have to replace the keyboard? OR
  2. Is it caused because of BIOS Corruption (This question simply came to my mind)?
Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 2 of 4 (836 Views)

Re: HP 430 Notebook PC Keyboard Problem - Capslock key not getting disabled.

Hello djmukul,

You are stating the caps lock key will not disable, is that correct? I will try to help you with this issue.

There is a possibility it could be an issue with the keyboard. You can load into the BIOS and try to restore the system defaults settings and see if that disengages the caps lock key.

1.       Tap the F10 key as soon as you turn the computer on.

2.       Once there press F9 to restore the defaults.

3.       Press F10 to save and exit

Test the caps lock key once you get back into windows.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
I work for HP.
Top Student
djmukul
Message 3 of 4 (828 Views)

Thanks for your reply.

I had tried that too, but nothing had changed.

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 4 of 4 (823 Views)

Djmukul,

Sounds like a stuck key, underneath the actual key that you press. I would consider swapping out  keyboard, if that doesn’t correct the issue they you are looking at the motherboard.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
I work for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation