Question

Honor Student
trantien1987la
Message 1 of 12 (5,482 Views)

HP 6535b won't boot. Pls help!

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have a HP 6535b. Yesterday, I installed the game Commandos 3: Destination to Berlin. After playing, I shut the laptop down. Everything still worked properly. But this morning, when I turn on the laptop, it freezes! The LED light and fan still work, but the screen was totally black. I thought there was some problems with the LCD screen, so I connected the laptop with an outside screen and tried  fn+f4. But the screen remained black. I noticed that the processing light and wireless signal light at left conner turned to orange. Normally it should be blue. On the other hand, the Caps Lock and Num Lock lights keeped flashing. The strange thing is the lights, fan still work (I can hear it) but the screen is dead!

I don't know what happened to my laptop, pls help if you have any idea or suggestion... Thanks a lot!

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 12 (5,480 Views)

Re: HP 6535b won't boost. Pls help!

Hi,

trantien1987la wrote:

Hi, I have a HP 6535b. Yesterday, I installed the game Commandos 3: Destination to Berlin. After playing, I shut the laptop down. Everything still worked properly. But this morning, when I turn on the laptop, it freezes! The LED light and fan still work, but the screen was totally black. I thought there was some problems with the LCD screen, so I connected the laptop with an outside screen and tried  fn+f4. But the screen remained black. I noticed that the processing light and wireless signal light at left conner turned to orange. Normally it should be blue. On the other hand, the Caps Lock and Num Lock lights keeped flashing. The strange thing is the lights, fan still work (I can hear it) but the screen is dead!

I don't know what happened to my laptop, pls help if you have any idea or suggestion... Thanks a lot!

Try a hard reset.

Disconnect the ac power adapter and remove the battery. Now press and hold the power button for 15 seconds. Release the power button and plug in the ac adapter. Press the power button to see if it will boot into Windows. If it does then you can power it down and reinstall the battery. If not, I suggest that you  remove and replace the memory modules( to the same slots they were removed from) with power off..

Please post your results here in your thread.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
trantien1987la
Message 3 of 12 (5,470 Views)

Re: HP 6535b won't boot. Pls help!

Hi Erico,

Thanks alot for your resolution. I did not have a chance to try it. I have sent my laptop to HP Care Center for checking. Still waiting for their answer. Anyway, I appreciate your help so much. Hope my laptop won't die too soon. By the way, what do you mean by "replace the memory module"? Does it mean I have to buy a new RAM to replace the old one?

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 12 (5,465 Views)

trantien1987la wrote:

Hi Erico,

Thanks alot for your resolution. I did not have a chance to try it. I have sent my laptop to HP Care Center for checking. Still waiting for their answer. Anyway, I appreciate your help so much. Hope my laptop won't die too soon. By the way, what do you mean by "replace the memory module"? Does it mean I have to buy a new RAM to replace the old one?

Actually I should have stated "reseat" the module. That means removing it and then putting it back in. That has the effect of cleaning the contacts on both the module and the DIMM slot on the mother(system) board.

Sometimes a module will actually fail and that can be confirmed by removing a module (one at a time) and seeing if the laptop will boot up. A bad memory module can cause lack of video and bo boot scenarios.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Student
spencers88
Message 5 of 12 (5,399 Views)

I'm also having this same exact problem with a 6535b that I have. Luckily, we have lots of these and I was able to test parts using the spare. Turns out it's a bad CPU that's causing it. Hopefully this will help somebody else.

Student
dover45p
Message 6 of 12 (5,395 Views)

Thank you so very much for the hard reset answer.I tried it and it worked! I thought my my laptop was dead.

Provost
erico
Message 7 of 12 (5,320 Views)

dover45p wrote:

Thank you so very much for the hard reset answer.I tried it and it worked! I thought my my laptop was dead.

Good to hear that your laptop is useable again. Please mark the thread which you feel helped you as the solution. That way the thread will  easy for others with the same issue to find.

Best regards,
erico 

Provost
erico
Message 8 of 12 (5,293 Views)

spencers88 wrote:

I'm also having this same exact problem with a 6535b that I have. Luckily, we have lots of these and I was able to test parts using the spare. Turns out it's a bad CPU that's causing it. Hopefully this will help somebody else.

Interesting. That is not a component that commonly fails.

Best regards,
erico 

Honor Student
trantien1987la
Message 9 of 12 (5,208 Views)

@ spencers88: What have you done to make your laptop work again? Did you replace a new chip? Does it work for long?

@ erico: The guy at HP Care Center told me that my VGA chip has been burned (broken). So they will replace a new one at 100USD. I don't know should I accept it or not. I'm afraid the new chip may conflict with the old mother board. Do you have any idea,pls?

By the way, my VGA Card is an onboard card. If I replace a stronger 4GB RAM (my current one is 2GB), does it help the VGA chip work cooler?

Best Regards,

Honor Student
townboy
Message 10 of 12 (1,120 Views)

I purchased 2 of HP 6535b from the goodwill, thought I had gotten a good deal since they looked new.  They worked fine for a while then they stopped booting and I was getting the error of the 5 flashing number and scroll lock lights.  Following up on what one of the techs mentioned, I took the computer completely apart, plugged it in and i didn't get an error.  First I thought it was due to poor air flow and the design is poor for air flow. Plut everything back together testing as I connected each piece and found that if I did not plug in the CD drive I didn't get an error and the computer ran fine.   The computer is not converting enough power to run everything.  Somedays the computer will boot with the drive in, but once it gets hot and you reboot the computer, you the get the error again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation