Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Chromebook 14

I have had the notebook since Christmas but during the last 24 hours I began getting a faulty response on the y, u, h, j, n, and m keys.  Sometimes they would work on the first try, sometimes I would have to hold them down for several seconds before they would register. 

Now they have all completely stopped working.  I looked on other forums but I cannot remove the battery from the laptop or do a hard restart since it operates on Chrome OS.  

Is this just a cleaning problem or is there something possibly wrong with the technology inside?

-Megan

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi

The solution is to contact HP support, they will be able to help you, it looks like a hardware issue.

Hope this helps.

***** Click the Thumbs UP (Like) on the Right to say 'Thanks'*****

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Thumbs up "if it solves your problem.****

-VJ

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

HP Recommended

this is the exact same thing that is happening to my chromebook the exact same keys that are acting up? what should i do? did u find a soloution...

HP Recommended

Called HP today about tihs exact same issue, they are sending me a shipping box to return my chromebook back to them to fix.

you'll need model and serial and another number from the bottom when you call. 

Copy and pasting letters is a painful way to type. 😛

HP Recommended

Nightmare I have the same issue just happened to me 😞 these exact keys stop working on my Chromebook and I bought 2, was hoping to buy more of them. The problem is intermitent. 

How did it turn out, did you send it back did they fix it? Is it something that can be fixed without posting the laptops (some sort of firmware update?

Many thanks

HP Recommended

The problem with having to send it in is I end up not having access to the internet until they return it.

What they should do is just replace it.

I just ended up connecting an external USB keyboard, kinda kills the portability aspect of the device though.

This problem and learning I can't use my USB printer with the chromebook (it requires a cloud enabled printer) has me thinking this was a poor investment.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, has happened 3 times, the 1st couple I turned it off for a few days but this time I have been unable to use and I can't even log in as my password starts with an H

Does anyone know the contact number for HP support in the UK as my Chromebook is unusable right now. Its only 6 months old!! I lucklily have a HP laptop to work on but its so slow compared to the Chrome 😞 

HP Recommended

I have the EXACT same problem you do.  Bought our computer at Christmas time, too at Best Buy in Westminster, CA.  Same keys work sometimes and sometimes not.  Sometimes I just type skipping those letters for a little while, then go back and they work.  Sometimes I just hit the keys several times really hard and they start working.  A couple times it helped when I restarted the computer.  Right now they are fine as I am typing this.  Thinking of returning this thing!  Oh, and last night the window of the browser was zooming in and out.  

HP Recommended

Is there a phone number to call for HP Support?  I tried chatting with someone online and they said I would receive an email about what to do about this issue, but I never received one.  Feel like they just led me on a wild goose chase instead of actually trying to fix the problem.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

I have this exact problem and after HP and Woot where I bought it were unhelpful, I dug into it myself.  It's not a problem with the keys at all, it was the ribbon cable connecting it to the motherboard.  After re-seating the large ribbon cable it would work for a bit until I snapped the keyboard back into place.  Then, no worky again.  After fiddling with it while having the keyboard off, I found that the fold in the cable was the problem.  When straightened out, it worked, when folded tight (like when the keyboard was snugged down) it quit working.  I re-folded it in different places while reinstalling the keyboard and it's been working for about a week.  If it stays working, awesome, but who knows.

In the end,  No help from HP on this but every once in a while a blind squirrel finds a nut.  Hope this helps someone else!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.