HP DV6000 laptop continuously shuts down and restarts ever since Restore from disk (1470 Views)
Student
Rjohn518
Message 1 of 2 (1,470 Views)

HP DV6000 laptop continuously shuts down and restarts ever since Restore from disk

Hi all--hope someone can give me some suggestions on a new problem with my daughter's DV6000 laptop.

Running Windows Vista, has had no problems in two years. She lost her password and was only able to log on using the fingerprint scanner--no one else can use it. I ran the full restore from the original disk--it took a LONG time, many hours, but now that it is finished, the computer continuously shuts down and restarts--it will boot to the Windows screen and stay on for about two minutes, then shut down and restart. Been doing this for 3 days. I don't have time to change anything before it reboots. Nothing else was changed, and it had been working fine.

Any ideas or suggestions? Your help is greatly appreciated!

R. John

Tutor
jdoggsc
Message 2 of 2 (325 Views)

Re: HP DV6000 laptop continuously shuts down and restarts ever since Restore from disk

As it boots up, it will show an HP logo and then the screen will go black/flicker before showing the vista loading bar.

As soon as the HP logo disappears, press and hold F8 until it shows a menu giving you the option to boot into safe mode.  Try booting into safe mode.  It will show a bunch of text at first that will show what modules/files it is loading.  If it stalls on a file, then you can see what it stalls on and google that condition.  It only shows what it has just successfully loaded, so the last thing you see on your screen before it boots will not necessarily be the problem file, but it will be the last thing it loaded successfully before the point where it has the problem.  That menu will also likely show an option to repair windows. If it does, then you should select that.

If there's no repair windows option, then ctrl+alt+delete to reboot the computer manually (or else force a reboot with the power button) and as it's loading, there will be some text at the bottom of the screen to choose boot devices.  (on my dv2000, it's Esc).  You might have to try a few times before it takes (I do, anyway) but it should take you to another screen where you can choose to boot to the internal hard drive, an optical drive, a USB drive (if applicable) and possibly a diagnostic or repair partition.  If you tried to repair windows, you might have already done this, but if not, the let us know what you've done, where you've been, and how you did what.  That'll help to figure out what chances you have of salvaging the OS.

I've given you a few ideas here.  try them in order.  boot to safe mode. see if that helps pinpoint your vista problem and google solutions to it.  then try finding a windows repair option in that F8/safe mode menu.  then try to see if there's a repair partition you can boot to even before windows loads.  I dont' know as much about that one because my hp laptop was completely wiped when i got it, so I don't know what sort of reinstall partitions HP includes with these laptops.  Maybe someone else will have more complete knowledge on that subject.

Good luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation