Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Ps... is there any legal people reading this thread that have any good ideas on how to file a class-action suit against HP or form some sort of community that could file a partition against this faulty product we all own. Is there another course of action here? Can we get some compensation?
HP Recommended

This is extremely frustrating to be stuck with a 2000 dollar laptop, now 3 years after purchase, with only 60 seconds of battery life and a constant need to sit upon a mountain of ice packs to keep from over heating.  All of my colleagues who purchased an HP envy 17 through our company "deal" experience the same problem.  

HP offers no support, only excuses.  Mine was sent back 2 times within the 2 year warranty only to come back with the same problem.

I will never buy an HP again.

My colleagues will not buy an HP again.

I do not trust HP

Every time the opportunity comes up to voice my opinion in social media about my negative experience, I will tell my story.

Shame on HP - congratulations, you got us good. 

HP Recommended

You simply changed the power setting in the task bar in the bottom right. Change from "Performance" to "HP recommended" or if it is still to hot, change to "Power Saver"

HP Recommended

The thing that helped my machine the most was to used a can of compressed air to blow dust off the internal fan through the opening on the left side/bottom of the laptop. Also, installed latest Catalyst drivers from AMD and turned off performance setting.

HP Recommended
My two year old Envy 17 just gave the overheat message one day, out of the blue.
Now it shuts down 36 seconds after pushing the power switch. It runsfor exactly 36 seconds regardless if the "cpu" temperature (measured with an ir temp probe) starts at 23C or 45C.
I do not know how to get past this loop where the notebook only runs for 36 seconds and then shuts down?
HP Recommended

Uglyboys

Unfortunately no-one at HP reallly gives a **bleep**..... you're screwed like the rest of us

HP Recommended

Here's the solution. You must open your laptop and clean the CP fan, at least once a year. I've also broken every other plastic bar at the cooling fan so it gets more air and can be cleaned more effectively with vacuum cleaner.

Opening the laptop is a pain, I didn't do it myself, I payed for cleaning it. The whole issue wouldn't actually be SO bad if a laptop was easier to open. I'd gladly do it once in a month or two. Like this, it's still a faulty product, a half product that requires additional expanses although the original price is high already. Spread the word, tell people not to buy HP products, just like I do. 

HP Recommended

The problem of overheating and shutdown in the 1050ea and the envy 2101ea is well documented on the internet and is very common, nearly 20,000 views on this forum alone. The cause appears to be HPs design of putting the graphics card next to the processor with an insufficient heat dispersal fan system in place. Many HP i7 laptop owners have tried variuos methods of improving the airflow, replacing the paste and constantly cleaning the vents or using cooling trays. These 'fixes' would not be such a vital 'requirement' in a correctly designed piece of equipment. I ask myself "would I be happy to fly in a plane controlled by an HP i7 laptop"  Would the CEO of HP?

My own 2101ea has been shutting down after 20 minutes and it is a shame because generally I like HP products. I know it won't shut down at the moment because I have switched off the expensive graphics card and it is running on the onboard chip set. The room is eerily silent because of the absence of the usual fan noise which is constantly ruining my use of the beats sound system! All manufacturers make mistakes in product design and the 'worth' of a company is shown in how it deals with these mistakes. Unfortunately for HP, their 'worth' in dealing with this matter can only be described as 'worthless'. This is a pity because they are ultimately in the 'people' business and good reputations once lost are difficult to regain. I have four pieces of HP technology in my home but will not buy anymore simply because of the contempt they have for their customers. Many HP shareholders will know that a cancer starts off with just a few cells but left untreated can bring to an end even the largest of beings.

HP Recommended

I just got a 2014 refirbed HP17 with the AMD10 and 8650 intergrated graphics card. It runs fairly hot stock. With the AMD overdrive I show on the high power setting it getting within 5* of max thershold for temp. Yet nothig but Firefox will be up and running.

HP Recommended
i have the same problem too . it's happen when playing games about 5 or 10min suddenly notebook shutdown itself and system temperature 90D showing up .

in case i've disassembled my notebook and applied new thermal paste on CPU-GPU . also cleaned all the dust on vents and fan .

i've try another solution like resetting BIOS by removing RTC battery for 3min and put it back but nothing
happened . the error message still showing up .

COMPAQ PRESARIO CQ42 .
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.