HP EliteBook 8570p-Windows 7: Cursor Locked (1151 Views)
Honor Student
mcd11209
Message 1 of 3 (1,151 Views)

HP EliteBook 8570p-Windows 7: Cursor Locked

Brand new HP EliteBook 8570p w/ Windows 7.  My cursor moves at will then locks against side of screen.  I have no control of it and can't use my computer because of it.  HP Rep suggests Touchpad needs to be replaced; at first she thought it might be a drivers issue.  Any suggestions?

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 2 of 3 (1,147 Views)

Re: HP EliteBook 8570p-Windows 7: Cursor Locked

I am not sure it you can turn off your touchpad in the bios. Did HP suggest that you go directly to the touchpad manufacturer's web site and download their latest? Can you work with the touchpad in safe mode? Can you go into control and try to adjust the sensitivity of the touchpad? If you add an external mouse can you gain better control to make adjustments? With a new notebook, do you want to risk taking off the keyboard and unplugging the touchpad and then plugging it back in to see if it is a connection problem? Checking the pad itself for a hair or other foreign particle putting pressure on the pad?  I would think you would want to have a replacement if it is brand new but let me know if you wish to pursue any of the above.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Honor Student
mcd11209
Message 3 of 3 (1,146 Views)

Re: HP EliteBook 8570p-Windows 7: Cursor Locked

Rep and I tried working in Safe mode.  Unable to function whether with wireless mouse, or without.  No control over cursor.  I'll probably send it back to HP for repair/part replacement but curious to hear potential solutions.  Touchpad light does not go on at all.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation