Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've got an HP Elitebook 850 which is about 3 weeks old. It's running Windows 8.1 with most of the HP softwares, available for this model, installed.

Once the laptop goes into sleep mode you can't wake it up for some reason. The screen remains black and all LED light seem normal. Only thing to do is either ctr+alt+del to reboot or forced shutdown using the power button.

Any ideas?

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Had exactly the same problem.  Called HP support.  They said I needed to downgrade the video driver I was using.  

Specifically they asked me to check the version of the video driver first:

1. Start Screen, type "Device Manager" then click to open the Device Manager;

2. In Device Manager expand "Display adapters".  There were two shown:
    AMD Radeon (TM) HD 8500M/8700M
    Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

3. They asked me to double-click on the Intel display adapter.  The Properties dialog opened;

4. On the Driver tab of the Properties dialog, check the Driver Version.  Mine was 10.18.10.3379.

HP Support then asked me to download an older version of the driver, 10.18.10.3316.  Here's how:

1) On the laptop in question browse to hp.com;

2) On the Support menu of hp.com, click Download drivers;

3) Find by Product: Enter "Elitebook 850 G1" and press Go;

4) Several results will come up, select the one that says "HP EliteBook 850 G1 Base Model Notebook PC";

5) Select the operating system: "Windows 8.1 (64-bit)";

6) From the Download Index select "Drivers - Graphics";

7) Download "Intel Video Driver and Control Panel (International)" version 10.18.10.3316, from 15 Nov 2013.  It's a big download, 158 MB.

After the download has completed, double-click on the downloaded file to install it.  If you get a dialog warning that you will be installing an older version of the driver than the one that is currently installed, click Yes to continue.

After I installed version 10.18.10.3316 of the driver I restarted the laptop.

To test whether the fix had worked I opened a text editor and typed some text without saving it (this was to see if the unsaved document would still exist after the laptop woke up from its sleep).  I then put the laptop into sleep mode by closing the screen.  When I opened it again the light behind the Power button was slowly pulsing on and off and the screen was black.  Briefly pressing the Power button brought the laptop out of sleep mode and back to the lock screen for logging back in.  After logging in I found the unsaved document was still open so the laptop had obviously just slept and rewoken rather than restarted.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Had exactly the same problem.  Called HP support.  They said I needed to downgrade the video driver I was using.  

Specifically they asked me to check the version of the video driver first:

1. Start Screen, type "Device Manager" then click to open the Device Manager;

2. In Device Manager expand "Display adapters".  There were two shown:
    AMD Radeon (TM) HD 8500M/8700M
    Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

3. They asked me to double-click on the Intel display adapter.  The Properties dialog opened;

4. On the Driver tab of the Properties dialog, check the Driver Version.  Mine was 10.18.10.3379.

HP Support then asked me to download an older version of the driver, 10.18.10.3316.  Here's how:

1) On the laptop in question browse to hp.com;

2) On the Support menu of hp.com, click Download drivers;

3) Find by Product: Enter "Elitebook 850 G1" and press Go;

4) Several results will come up, select the one that says "HP EliteBook 850 G1 Base Model Notebook PC";

5) Select the operating system: "Windows 8.1 (64-bit)";

6) From the Download Index select "Drivers - Graphics";

7) Download "Intel Video Driver and Control Panel (International)" version 10.18.10.3316, from 15 Nov 2013.  It's a big download, 158 MB.

After the download has completed, double-click on the downloaded file to install it.  If you get a dialog warning that you will be installing an older version of the driver than the one that is currently installed, click Yes to continue.

After I installed version 10.18.10.3316 of the driver I restarted the laptop.

To test whether the fix had worked I opened a text editor and typed some text without saving it (this was to see if the unsaved document would still exist after the laptop woke up from its sleep).  I then put the laptop into sleep mode by closing the screen.  When I opened it again the light behind the Power button was slowly pulsing on and off and the screen was black.  Briefly pressing the Power button brought the laptop out of sleep mode and back to the lock screen for logging back in.  After logging in I found the unsaved document was still open so the laptop had obviously just slept and rewoken rather than restarted.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Sovled my problem 😄 Tack you very much.

HP Recommended
Had exact same black screen after wake. Downgraded drivers and now wakes ok.

Come on Hp this problem is 3 months old now!
HP Recommended

Same problem with Win 8.1.

Downgrade the Intel Graphics driver. After that the laptop wake exactly one time from sleep mode.

But thereafter the laptop (or monitor) freezes and trying to wake it  up ends in a restart...

HP Recommended

I am confused i tried to downgrade my intel hd graphics,the thing is all the other versions dont work

so i am still using the latest version .

HP 15-d012tu

HP Recommended

I have the same issue.  The driver downgrade listed is for windows 8 and will not work for windows 7.  Still looking for a 7 fix

HP Recommended

Can we expect a response of an official here?

HP Recommended

Hi guys i just found out the hibernate is working fine for me.

I prefer hibernte then sleep mode because he does'not take any power at all 

HP Recommended

the downgrade initially fixed my sleep issue but only for a few days then back to the same problem. i also tried hiberante for a while and still the laptop does not wake properly.

i have given up on sleep/hibernate and just shut down now. very annoying for such a good laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.