HP Envy 14 Beats Edition - Windows Explorer Freezes / Shutdown Fails (1029 Views)
Top Student
JBeats
Message 1 of 8 (1,029 Views)

HP Envy 14 Beats Edition - Windows Explorer Freezes / Shutdown Fails

Hey guys,

I have an HP Envy 14 Beats Edition laptop with an i5-580M and 6 GB RAM. Lately, I have been having problems in which my computer would freeze entirely. The freezes are usually triggered by the Windows Start button or by simply browsing through my files on Windows Explorer. Somtimes, simply clicking on the Windows task bar or simply right clicking the desktop can trigger the freeze also. This often forces me to turn off my computer by pressing and holding the power button for a few seconds. If it starts to hang but I am able to Ctrl+Alt+Del and restart/shutdown my computer from the logon screen, it would often fail, showing my desktop indefinitely and not restarting or shutting down at all. I run full system scans every week with Norton, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I also regularly run CCleaner to delete temporary files, cookies, etc. and to fix items on my registry. I've also tried doing the svc/scannow trick from the Command Prompt, but even after doing this, the problem has not gone away.

Please help.

When my computer works, it works great. But this freeze thing happens occasionally and I would very much like to get rid of it.

Sincerely,

JBeats

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 8 (1,026 Views)

Re: HP Envy 14 Beats Edition - Windows Explorer Freezes / Shutdown Fails

Hi,

Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab, you should find the facility to run tests on the Hard Drive and Memory.  Run both tests and post back with the results.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
JBeats
Message 3 of 8 (1,005 Views)

Just ran the BIOS test. It passed both the hard disk and the memory tests.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 8 (992 Views)

Hi,

Before trying the following process, make sure you have a copy of any license key you need to activate the software you're about to uninstall.

As long as you are using the free version of MBAM, you can leave this installed as it is an on-demand scanner only.

However, Microsoft Security Essentials and Norton both use realtime scanning and this could well be causing the problem  From windows Control Panel, open Programs and Features and Uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials.  When the uninstall has completed, restart the notebook and let Windows fully load for a few minutes.  Then download the relevant Norton Removal Tool from the link below and run it to remove Norton.

Norton Removal Tools

After this has completed, restart the notebook again then reinstall Norton360 only - apply all updates and see if this has helped the issue.

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
JBeats
Message 5 of 8 (978 Views)

Thanks David. I'll try this later today then let you know if it worked.

Top Student
JBeats
Message 6 of 8 (962 Views)

David,

I went ahead and uninstalled MSE. Let's hope for the best.

As for Norton, I should clarify that I don't have Norton 360. I only have Norton Security Suite -- the free one issued to comcast subscribers. Is this version of Norton Secutiry Suite known to cause problems?

Sincerely,

Jason

Provost
DavidPK
Message 7 of 8 (950 Views)

Hi Jason,

I would still use the relevant norton removal tool to uninstall the software, reboot and then reinstall Norton again.

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
JBeats
Message 8 of 8 (942 Views)

Hi David,

Yup, went ahead and reinstalled Norton anyway. So far so good. No crashes as of yet. I hope it stays this way.

Sincerely,

Jason

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation