Question

Honor Student
QDB216
Message 1 of 8 (226 Views)

HP Envy 14 Locks and Will Not Reboot

Product name: HP Envy 14t-1200

Installed operating system: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Problem.

My first problem is at random times mainly when I wake up my laptop I wait 30 seconds before I do anything, then if I try to click anything on my task bar (like my web browser) my screen will stop responding then turn white as though explorer has stopped responding, exept, it doesnt say that, it just locks up.

A second possibility of this is sometimes if I play a game it crashes/freezes and I open task manager to force close and it says task manager is not responding. Soon after I have to hold down the power button to get it to reboot because one by one by progams freeze (exept for things on my external screnn where my taskbar isnt.)

My second problem is that I can not restart. If I try to, windows shuts down normally then the screen goes black and my wireless connection light goes red. However the power light stays on until I have to shut it off and turn it back on to get windows to boot.

Thanks in advance :smileyhappy:

Intern
kv_rob
Message 2 of 8 (205 Views)

Re: HP Envy 14 Locks and Will Not Reboot

Go to hp.com and update your BIOS to the latest version. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html , enter your operating system, go to step 2 and click BIOS. that may help waking from sleep mode. then try disabling all startup programs in msconfig. search windows for msconfig, select the Startup tab, then check the box to disable all startup programs

I am an employee of HP
Honor Student
QDB216
Message 3 of 8 (194 Views)

My BIOS apears to be up to date and I did disable most of my startup programs. Although in the BIOS update tab there is an older version of BIOS that I have not installed, in the description says it will fix my issue. Can I download an older version of BIOS and it won't corrup my newer BIOS?

Tutor
DingL
Message 4 of 8 (186 Views)

The latest BIOS should included the fix of old versions, while you can downgrade it to old version anyway if you want.

I work for HP
Top Student
rajeshmadhavan
Message 5 of 8 (181 Views)

If you have updated the BIOS and still notebooks shutsdown randomly and if could not restart the notebook immediately after that it is an indication of a hardware issue. Check if the notebook shuts down in BIOS as well. If yes it is an issue with the system board. Possible issue with the Fan,Heat Sink or the Processor.

Honor Student
QDB216
Message 6 of 8 (172 Views)

How would I see if my computer shuts down in BIOS. Would It be in the F12 menu on boot?
Top Student
rajeshmadhavan
Message 7 of 8 (169 Views)

Hi,

I do regret in case if I got you question incorrect. If I am not wrong you wanted to know how to get into BIOS. Please Tap the F10 key when you power on the notebook to get into BIOS.

Honor Student
QDB216
Message 8 of 8 (147 Views)

[ Edited ]

Nope I dont seem to have a freezing problem on shutdown and re-boot. Only on wake up from sleep. I have decided to blow out my computer and re install windows and my drivers this sunday. I will tell you how that goes and see if I still have the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation