HP Envy 15 Touchsmart won't start after bios update (1844 Views)
Honor Student
Calsius
Message 1 of 3 (1,844 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Envy 15 Touchsmart won't start after bios update

I've had a HP Envy 15 touchsmart laptop (Windows 8 originally, windows 8.1 now) for about 2 months now and havent had any problems, till a few hours ago i attempted to update the bios of my laptop using the hp support assistant. After the restart, the pc would no longer start up and took me to a blue screen with the error message SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. Everything I have done so far short of a refresh or reset has not worked and if i could I would like to avoid both as I do not have the bandwith to go download windows 8.1 again.

HP
Sparkles1
Message 2 of 3 (1,808 Views)

Re: HP Envy 15 Touchsmart won't start after bios update

HI Calsius:

Thank you for your query.  I will glad to assist any way I can!

After updating to Windows 8.1 , did you create a restore point?  If so ,you could use it to restore back to that date,and not lose your 8.1 updated.  Some Bioses have an option for a Rollback which should not affect your operating system.  I did a Microsoft search and located  this answer  click here.   Here is a document on "Updating the BIOS'   click here.  You did not provide your model number and HP Envy 15, is a series, so I could not get specific documentation for your computer.  Here is a document on "Computer Does not Start (Windows 8)"  click here. If you are able to get your computer back up and running I would update all the drivers, and then create a restore point to come back to if necessary.  If the Bios update should fail a 2nd time, your  restore point  will take you back to just before you retried the update. If you were to use the Recovery option it will take you back to Windows 8 or back to factory.

Please let me know if this has helped.

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
Calsius
Message 3 of 3 (1,777 Views)

Re: HP Envy 15 Touchsmart won't start after bios update

Decided to roll back the bios and everything started working perfectley again, just decides to do the same whenever I try updating again. Gonna try messing around a bit till i get it working and create a system backup before I do so. Thanks for the help with the problem, was very informative.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation