[ Edited ]

Product Info:

HP Envy 15t-j000 Quad Edition CTO Notebook PC

Intel Core i7-4900MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz

RAM: 16.0 GB

65-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Windows 8.1

Problem:

When doing anything on the more intensive side such as gaming, randomly, the fps will noticeably drop and then all of a sudden the latop acts as if it can't handle whats going on and the screen freezes for a couple seconds and then starts responding extremely slowly with the entire screen acting as if on 1 fps. The entire ordeal occurs for about 30 seconds to a minute and then everything is perfectly fine again, and I can continue with what I was doing. There is also an extremely loud buzzing during the process. Whenever I play games now I can expect this to happen.

Additional Info:

While it seems like I just have too much going on, I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary. My processor and RAM should be sufficient enough to play a game like League of Legends while listening to music on Spotify (which is often when this occurs, but I believe it can happen any time). I got the laptop around August 22nd 2013 and ever since whenever I would play games and do even more intensive things than I'm doing now, there wouldn't even be a drop in fps let alone a system freeze, so something definitely changed.

My drivers are up to date and since I had cleaned out my extremely dusty dorm room, I bought a can of compressed air and cleaned the dust out of my laptop's vents (since I thought it might be overheating with the fans being too dusty to do their job properly), but that didn't help the problem, and I'm still getting the freezes.

I still have an HP warranty but I'm not sure if this is a hardware problem or something I can fix myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated (and PLEASE explain it to me like I'm 5). Thanks!

Grad Student
MSSAT
Message 2 of 5 (207 Views)

Re: HP Envy Freezing with Audio Buzzing

hi , welcome to HP forums

iam so sorry to tell you this news

but your HDD needs to be replaced

please back uo your data as fast as you can

then replace it

you have R/W delays or bad sectors

if this helped please click accept as a solution

Mark Th. Antonio
Faculty Of Engineering Alexandria University
Honor Student
kblumj
Message 3 of 5 (184 Views)

Are you sure? And any idea if this fix is covered by the warranty?

This is what I have:

Warranty Type

If it's not covered by the warranty what will this probably cost me?

Grad Student
MSSAT
Message 4 of 5 (175 Views)

this depends on your country and the brand of the new HDD

i am from egypt ^^

please go to HP center and ask them

they will provide you with what's in warrentry and what isn't

if this helped press accept as a solution

Mark Th. Antonio
Faculty Of Engineering Alexandria University
Honor Student
kblumj
Message 5 of 5 (141 Views)

8 calls to hp support later and now as far as I know the problem has been resolved.

It wasn't an issue with my Harddrive; I ended up running multiple tests to ensure that. The problem seemed to be a driver confliction so I backed up my files and reset my pc. Everything seems to be working fine now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation