Re: HP G60-238CA sometimes doesn't boot up; software, motherboard or Power connector cable Issue? (202 Views)
Honor Student
gulilero
Message 1 of 3 (270 Views)

HP G60-238CA sometimes doesn't boot up; software, motherboard or Power connector cable Issue?

My system doesn't always boot up.  Some times I have to go through several times to boot up the computer, and it is getting worse.

When I do manage to boot it up and the power supply is connected the following notebook led lights are on:

1: AC adapter light next to the power connector, 2. both power lights (top center buttom and led indicator at left-front),  3; hardrive led light however the battery light (lightning symbol; middle led light of the 3 leds on the left-front side) corresponding to the "battery is charging" is off.  In addition, the battery icon (at the bottom right side of the monitor) does not show that the battery is charging and the percentage of charge shown is always the last value shown whithout the power supply.  With the power supply on the battery charge % does not change; it does not increase.  With the power supply disconnected the  battery charge % keeps reducing.

I have a new battery pack, and the power supply is working correctly (I have three different ones that I've tried with the same result) providing about 18 V.

My question is:

How can I tell if the problem(s) (i.e., booting and charging) is(are) caused by:

a). the DC input power connector socket and Cable (which I am confident I could replace by my self),

b). the new battery pack which I have purchased from a third party supplier or

c). the motherboard?

Thanks in advance for your help

Honor Student
gulilero
Message 2 of 3 (258 Views)

Re: HP G60-238CA sometimes doesn't boot up; software, motherboard or Power connector cable Issue?

Further to my previous post; my computer wouldn't start with the old battery pack which was probably drained.  However when I got the new battery it did start for a while but as I said it did not seemed to recharge the battery, now that my new battery is probably discharged it doesn't start at all and now only shows the power led on and the other two leds the middle one and the one to the right (disk) led are off.

My question is: could the problem be the power connector with the 6 cables?

Thanks in advance. 

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 3 of 3 (202 Views)

Re: HP G60-238CA sometimes doesn't boot up; software, motherboard or Power connector cable Issue?

Hey gulilero,

I agree with you. I feel that the problem is with the power connector cable. The power connector cable part number is 496835-001, found in your manual, page 3-2 and 3-6.

I checked the HP Parts Store for this part but it doesn't seem to be in stock. The good news is I found it on Amazon here (please verify return policy before purchasing), very inexpensive. This part, as you can see, includes the cable and the DC jack. If you replace that and the notebook still doesn't power on, it may be an issue with the motherboard.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if this suggestion helped (this could help others with the same issue). I'll keep an eye out for your reply :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation