Question

Top Student
MGR01
Message 1 of 8 (23,098 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP G62-105SA cooling fan issue error 902

I have a G62-105SA laptop only a few months old.

My laptop unexpectedly shut down and a message saying that it had shut down because it had got too hot. This seemed odd as it had only been on about 30 mins and was on a desk where the vents were not blocked. It was however very hot. I waited a few minutes, turned it back on and now there is an error message from the bios error message 902. This relates to the cooling fan.

I have tried downloading the bios update on the HP support site for this laptop model, have installed it using windows key + B and a memory stick but the problem is still there.

This happens every time the laptop is switched on.

What is the next step ?

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 2 of 8 (23,074 Views)

Re: HP G62-105SA cooling fan issue error 902

just double checking, are you able to go to Windows Desktop?

If installing the lasted BIOS does not fix the issue...you will need to send the unit in for service...as the error indicates that either fan is not running or it is running slower than required sleep...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Top Student
MGR01
Message 3 of 8 (23,063 Views)

Hi, No I can't do anything, only option is to shut down. The bios seems to have uploaded as it beeped several times as you would expect.

What is the process of sending the unit back ? I'm in the UK. Will I lose the data stored on the hard drive when I send it back ?

Thanks for the reply.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 4 of 8 (23,054 Views)

Here is what I would suggest...Disconnect the AC Adapter, Remove the Battery & RTC battery if possible... and press & Hold the power button down far a few secs...post that connect AC adapter and Battery back and power up the unit and see if you can go into the OS, to update the BIOS....

Now, with regards to repair...It is always recommended to back up the data, but i understand the situation we have here....I would suggest disconnecting the hard drive and connecting to another system to tranfer the data...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Top Student
MGR01
Message 5 of 8 (23,041 Views)

Thanks,

have done as you suggested, still no luck. I'll have to arrange for it to be looked at by an engineer.

Tutor
tearsnroses
Message 6 of 8 (19,751 Views)

ok i just went to HP service center. They have tried replacing the fan and cleaning the old one but the problem remains the same. They recommended that i should give them "dead call approval" to perform a soldering or heat operation to the bios in order to reset it. But there could be chances that it will curropt the bios. After hearing this i rejected the offer and went to a local repair shop. Ok the local engineer have came to conclusion that IT is not necessary that only fan has the issue that is causing the 902 error. It could be a problem with the "conductive pathways" on the board where the bios chip or fan is located or maybe the other similar issue that is causing the problem Because Bios chip IS NOT DEAD. It is still giving a display of error message. He said a worst case could be with that data inside the chip could be currpoted and there is no need to use heat operation in order reset the bios chip! What he suggested is that he has a "Laser" technology which can actually reset the data inside the bios chip. So there is no need to either replace the chip or apply heat to it. Ok important point to note here is that there are several reasons that can cause bios cooling fan 902 error. Those people who have successed by blowing air into vents had only minor problem with the fan speed due to dust inside it. That is why there problem is solved. But in our case where almost evey operation has failed is because extended heat has caused a hardware problem (Not necessary with the bios chip) but on the board OR it has curropted the data inside the bios chip. Tommarow i will bring my laptop to that local engineer and we will find that problem. I will keep you guys updated. thanks

Student
Raja_Nauman
Message 7 of 8 (19,326 Views)

i ve got the same issue .. my fan turns off and it displays thermal shut down.. main issue is that how to disconnect the hard disk.. ??

Honor Student
andybrown102
Message 8 of 8 (5,154 Views)

I just want to know how such questions are born if he said that he can't  enter the BIOS?  please !!!!! some body can explain me ? how you can  do an update when I have no OS no bios only I have  one message: error 902! You have only one screen and one 902 error message. Explain to me how you can do anything  in this situation, download, update the BIOS or do whatever if your actions are  end with pressing the power button! I really reading this help can make the people  crazy!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation