Question

Top Student
IrishInsanity
Message 1 of 8 (3,729 Views)

HP G62 Notebook PC will not boot, freezes at loading screen.

I bought my HP G62 on March 26th. On July 4th, I came to the forums seeking help because it would randomly freeze at it's own convenience. Then, it refused to start without freezing. After performing all the suggestions that were posted to me here, my computer no longer froze.

Now, it started freezing again, but not nearly as often. I've noticed that it seems to have started after I attempted updating my ATI drivers. Regardless, my girlfriend closed my laptop without shutting it down before she went to sleep. Waking up about 6 hours later, I opened the laptop and it was frozen again. So I held down the power button and restarted it.

It then froze at the loading screen with the glowing microsoft symbol. Though, it didn't freeze, as the glowing effect was still happening. More like an infinite loop, you could say? I shut it down again, and attempted startup repair. It said "loading system files" or something of the sort and then froze at a black screen.

Since then, I've tried various things. I went into the F8 menu and did startup repair from there. It said if it was fixed, the computer will start up normally after it restarts. It did, but froze at the login screen. Restarted it yet again and ran startup repair again, yet no problems were detected that time.

I ran the chkdsk on windows partition via "Recovery Manager" along with the recovery partition though I'm not sure what I was supposed to be looking for, as it closed itself after completion.

I tried again to log on. Now, it will let me log in, then will freeze at the "Welcome" screen with the revolving blue circle. It does this in Safe Mode and normal startup.

I tried a system restore point to before critical updates, though that seems to have no effect.
Upon startup I went into the setup utility with F10 and ran a Primary Hard Disk Self Test. It gave me a 303 error on the quick test. I tried again to see just how quickly it gave me the error, though this time it passed? It is now running the comprehensive test and has 45 minutes to finish.

It is still under warranty but I'm currently on vacation and can't afford to lose the data from this hard drive, yet I believe the hard drive is the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions?

Also, in the HP recovery manager, where I ran the chkdsk, there was an option to back up files. Is it still possible for me to do so?

I'm leaving it in the hands of the experts.
Thanks for any help!

-Colton
Top Student
IrishInsanity
Message 2 of 8 (3,728 Views)

Re: HP G62 Notebook PC will not boot, freezes at loading screen.

Also, I believe there was a Short DST failure at some point, so the Error ID is 0H2C4J-5JJ5PD-XD003A-60QG03.
Provost
DavidPK
Message 3 of 8 (3,722 Views)

Hi,

It does sound like the Hard Drive is failing, so before anything else, see if the procedure detailed below will enable you to back-up your files.

One possible way to try and retrieve your files from a non-booting drive is to follow the process detailed in the link below.  The Ubuntu operating system CD you create can run from the CD alone ( ie it doesn't have to install on the Hard Drive ) and I've often found it to be successful in retrieving data even from a failing Hard Drive.  When you've created the CD, follow the instructions and see if you can back up your existing files. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windo...

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
IrishInsanity
Message 4 of 8 (3,716 Views)

Hi again, David

You were actually the one that helped me fix my previous problem, so I appreciate this for a second time. :smileyhappy:

Both the quick and comprehensive tests passed and I was able to boot to the desktop in safe mode, but it freezes within a minute or so. I wasn't sure if this was relevant (as I'm finally able to reach my desktop) so I wanted your opinion. I didn't know if this would change anything though. Sorry for any confusion!
Provost
DavidPK
Message 5 of 8 (3,715 Views)

Hi,

You're welcome :smileyhappy:

I would still definetely recommend try the process using a bootable Ubuntu CD as I described previously to see if this will allow you to successfully back-up your files.

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
IrishInsanity
Message 6 of 8 (3,657 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for replying and I'm terribly sorry about the long wait. I was stuck in the middle of hurricane Irene until I came back from vacation.

I am able to transfer any files via Ubuntu or my SATA->USB transfer cable, so that's not a problem. I also went to Best Buy/Geek Squad and they advised me to back up my files (or pay ~$150 for them to do it), and then they could run diagnostics, etc. and most likely replace my harddrive.. although I also need my HP disks. 

I know you can either order specifically from the website or make them from your computer (which I should have done before now..) but I'd rather not pay for them, wait (most likely a week or so), take it into BB/GS and wait another 2-5 days.. Especially with my classes starting in 2 days.
Point being, is there a way to create the CDs using the program within Ubuntu? Or perhaps if I can access the program from my harddrive by opening it on another computer?

Any recommendations would be appreciated, as I'm stuck on what to do next..

Thanks again! 

Top Student
IrishInsanity
Message 7 of 8 (3,647 Views)

Alas, I am on the phone with HP Support, and they've been telling me to perform all the tests I have already performed, just to come to the same conclusion that my harddrive is crashed, and are now transferring me to hardware support..

Although I do not need hardware support, I just called to ask about creating my recovery CDs.. 

Provost
DavidPK
Message 8 of 8 (3,637 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

There is an alternative to purchasing Recovery Discs if you have, or can borrow, a retail copy of windows 7 identical to the installation originally on your notebook - ie if your notebook came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, this would be the retail disc you would need to use - install the OS using this disc, enter the Windows Key found on your COA sticker and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' shown on the link below to activate the OS.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Otherwise, you can order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below.  Apart from re-installing the operating system on the new HDD, they will also install all the original software bundled with your notebook as well as re-creating the Rcovery Partition on the new drive.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810334&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation