Question

Honor Student
MissInterpreted
Message 1 of 16 (16,123 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP G62 laptop freezing, "Short DST Fail"

Hi,

I'm having some major glitches happening with my laptop.  I'm currently logged in in Safe Mode because every time I'm in regular mode, now, the laptop loads seemingly properly, works for 3 1/2 minutes (yes, I timed it) and then freezes.  It doesn't matter what program I'm using - or if I'm using a program at all for that matter - it still freezes.  I tried stopping every Startup program from loading with the exception of the "pointing device," and it still did it, so I've eliminated the possibility that it's one of the startup programs causing the crashes.

I next did Run-in, Start-Up, and System Tune-Up tests and all came back with the result of "Short DST: Failed" with the failure ID of 97KX30-54L5JU-XD003G-60VW03

I saw where someone else posted that they were getting a "Short DST fail" message and it was recommended that they do a BIOS diagnostic on their harddrive, so I just finished doing that.  It only gave me the option of doing the short test, and when it got to 50% (and 5 minutes remaining) it populated a text box saying "Hard Disk 1 Quick 303".

I'm hoping someone with more experience and computer knowledge can translate some of this for me, and tell me if the long story short is that my hard drive is fried and needs to be replaced.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 16 (16,116 Views)

Re: HP G62 laptop freezing, "Short DST Fail"

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The Hard Disk 1 Quick 303 result from the bios test on the Hard Drive does indeed mean your drive is failing and will need to be replaced.  If your laptop is not under warranty, it is a relatively straight forward process to replace the drive yourself.  If you would like an explanation of this, post back with the full Model No. or Part No. of your notebook and the size of the HDD you have.

Make sure that you back-up all your files etc asap.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
MissInterpreted
Message 3 of 16 (16,109 Views)

Dang.  I suspected that would be the case, but was hoping for different news and some kind of magic fix.  Ah well, guess that means the tooth fairy's not coming tonight either. :smileyhappy:

Thanks for your help!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 16 (16,107 Views)

Hi,

You're welcome - as I mentioned in my first reply, if you would like a guide on replacing the HDD, let me know.

All the best,

DP-K

Honor Student
MissInterpreted
Message 5 of 16 (16,103 Views)

I appreciate that.  The computer is under warranty so I'm going to try that first, but if not I'll definitely be contacting you for info on how to do the switch.

Thanks again!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 16 (16,102 Views)

Hi,

If your notebook is under warranty, you should have no problem getting HP to replace the drive.  You can contact HP regarding this Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Student
rosie123scout
Message 7 of 16 (15,577 Views)

My laptop is doing the same, it's been doing it since I got it occasionally but getting much more frequent now; a couple of months in.  Where are the tests found that brought you to that solution?

Rosie

Provost
DavidPK
Message 8 of 16 (15,568 Views)

Hi Rosie,

You can run these tests in the following way.

Shutdown the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back your results.

Regards,

DP-K

Student
aqq147
Message 9 of 16 (15,440 Views)

mine problem is kinda like theres but it was freezing for like a hole week then it started goin to blue screen and when i tried to go on safe mode it wouldn't work so i ran the (run in test) it said short dst:failed so i tried the hp website it had not the right info and then ya'll were talking about the problem so if u have info for me contact me at shaneonilly on yahoo.com, or shanemju on facebook.com thanx hole lot if u can help.

Student
petruschka
Message 10 of 16 (7,619 Views)

Hi,

I have the same problem with my HP G62 notebook PC giving me short DST fail but I cannot do a backup of all the info I have on my PC. It won't allow me to connect to the external drive to backup on.

Could you give me an idea?!

DavidPK wrote:

Hi,

The Hard Disk 1 Quick 303 result from the bios test on the Hard Drive does indeed mean your drive is failing and will need to be replaced.  If your laptop is not under warranty, it is a relatively straight forward process to replace the drive yourself.  If you would like an explanation of this, post back with the full Model No. or Part No. of your notebook and the size of the HDD you have.

Make sure that you back-up all your files etc asap.

Regards,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation