HP G71-343US. Failed BIOS update. Help recovery please. (2199 Views)
Honor Student
ethunk
Message 1 of 8 (2,199 Views)

HP G71-343US. Failed BIOS update. Help recovery please.

I have an HP G71-343US and i tried to update the BIOS. The update failed and now my laptop is basically a brick. It wont boot to any startup screen, it turns on but thats it, no image. The power light comes on, but no blink error codes. I have tried to press WINDOWS + B key to restore the BIOS but that doesnt work.

Is there anything that i can do to fix my laptop?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 8 (2,194 Views)

Re: HP G71-343US. Failed BIOS update. Help recovery please.

ethunk wrote:

I have an HP G71-343US and i tried to update the BIOS. The update failed and now my laptop is basically a brick. It wont boot to any startup screen, it turns on but thats it, no image. The power light comes on, but no blink error codes. I have tried to press WINDOWS + B key to restore the BIOS but that doesnt work.

Is there anything that i can do to fix my laptop?

How do you know that the update failed?

Did the BIOS not report update successful and reboot?

Have you tried a hard reset?

Remove the battery and unplug the DC power adapter.
press and hold the power button for more than fifteen seconds.
plug in the DC power adapter (leave the battery out for now)
press the power button

Best regards,
erico

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the purple thumbs up icon in the lower left corner of a post ***

****Please click on the Accept As Solution button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
ethunk
Message 3 of 8 (2,190 Views)

The update failed becuase the computer won't boot. When i initially tied the update, the screen and computer became frozen, and i let it sit there for three hours to see if it would snap out of it, but there was no Hard disk activity and it was just sitting there. So i pulled the plug. I believe the update failed because my antivirus software wasnt fully disabled and probably caused some conflict.

I have tried doing a hard reset. That didnt work. I found some information about taking out the battery that acts as a backup on the motherboard, its similiar to a small watch battery. I took that out and left it out for an hour, and that didnt work.

I went through all the trouble shooting processes that i could find from the support website:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=32608&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&d...

Thats where i found the forced recovery key command of WINDOWS + B keys.
When i do that there is a beeping tone, a pause and then a couple more beeps. I waited for about ten minutes but still nothing happens.

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 8 (2,184 Views)

Try the forced recovery procedure a few more times. Sometimes it takes a while for it towork.

Best regards,
erico

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the purple thumbs up icon in the lower left corner of a post ***

****Please click on the Accept As Solution button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****

Honor Student
ethunk
Message 5 of 8 (2,168 Views)

The forced recovery command is not working. I have tried waiting for about 10-15 min, and have done the key press while turning it one, after turning it on, letting go after the first tone, holding it down till all tones, and other combinations. But nothing caused it to boot.

I was reading about creating a boot USB stick, and i found a utility that HP offers, and i was wondering if that would be a viable option to try. I can take the hard drive out of the laptop and then put it in a SATA external case, and then run the utility. Its supposed to look at the recovery partition of the hard drive and find the the previous BIOS files.

Any suggestions on whether this could work?

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 8 (2,153 Views)

[ Edited ]

Which specific HP utility do you mean? 

How about linking me to it so I can read the documentation.

Best regards,

erico

Honor Student
ethunk
Message 7 of 8 (2,143 Views)

Provost
erico
Message 8 of 8 (2,131 Views)

You are past the point where a recovery can help you. When the BIOS is corrupt it means that the firmware which controls the operation of the PC is no longer operating. The recovery program requires that a PC or notebook has to have an operational BIOS.

Is your notebook still within the warranty period? (within one year of purchase)

You should try removing the CMOS battery (RTC and BIOS) for ten minutes or longer to see if the BIOS will reset.  If it does not work, then only someone who is a technician can do anything more for your notebook. 

Here is a link to the Service and Maintenence guide for your notebook series.See the removal of RTC battery topic (with illustrations) on page 59. It is actually quite simple for this series notebook.

Best regards,
erico

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation