Question

G98 Honor Student
Honor Student
G98
Message 1 of 7 (1,834 Views)

HP G71 Laptop will not power on at all - Help Please !

I have a HP G71 Notebook, it is only about 2 years old and I use it only at home.  Now It won't turn on at all.

For months now, I used to get a warning that my battery may need to be replaced.  The battery would only last about 10 minutes before I had to plug in the charger.

Yesterday,  I turned the computer on but it did not load up.  All I got was a blank screen with a small line near the top left corner and so I plugged in the charger thinking it was low on battery or something.  But nothing happened so I pressed CTRL + ALT + DEL, but it wouldnt restart.  So I pressed the power button but nothing happened again, so I disconnected the charger and closed the laptop.

The laptop eventually powered down.  I plugged the charger back in and pressed the power button again but nothing.

I then tried a hard reset (removing battery and charger, holding power button down for 30 seconds) but that didn't work either.  What happens is with no battery inserted, the light by the charger turns on solid for about 5 seconds, then turns off.  With the battery inserted, I get no light by the charger at all.

At no time did any of the lights go on to the left of the touch pad.

I got important data and I need my computer working again.

I am thinking if it was simply a bad charger, then the light by the charger should not have gone on at all (even though it was for only 5 seconds)  And why does it not come on at all when the battery is inserted. 

Any thoughts?   What should I do to next? I am stuck.

Thanks very much.

Grad Student
MathewT
Message 2 of 7 (1,826 Views)

Re: HP G71 Laptop will not power on at all - Help Please !

Hi,

First of all, sorry to hear about the issue that you are facing.

I dont think that you have any issues with the AC adapter because there is a light that comes up at the AC adapter port. Just to make things clear, see if you can get an alternate HP AC Adapter from Someone and see if that works.

If you are really good with computers, I would recommend you to reset the Hard drive, RAM and the Optical Drive.Sometimes, it could be an issue with some of these components. By doing this we can rule out if its a components failure or an issue with the motherboard. I am just praying that this shouldnt be an issue with the motherboard.

When you reply back let me know the product number of this computer or the complete model number. Let me know the results after you do this.

I will be waiting for your reply

Regards

MathewT

**Click on the KUDOS Star on the left to say "thanks" for helping!**
**Please Mark a Reply "Accept As Solution" if this has resolved your issue.**
I Work On Behalf Of HP
G98 Honor Student
Honor Student
G98
Message 3 of 7 (1,819 Views)

Thank you very much for your reply.

Sorry, I do not know how to do those resets, but I would not want to reset the hard drive if that meant it would erase all my data.  All I did was the hard reset by unplugging everything, taking the battery out and holding down the power button.

For months, I used to get a warning that my battery may need to be replaced.  The battery would only last about 10 minutes before I had to plug in the charger.  Could it be simply something such as the battery has failed?

Does this computer require a battery inserted to power on even if the ac adapter is plugged in?

My computer is G71-430CA  (I think this was identical to the US model, G71-340US)

Product:  WA604UA#ABC

Grad Student
MathewT
Message 4 of 7 (1,806 Views)

Hi,

There would have been a case where the battery is defective but to confirm that you can run a test on the computer and see. But as of now the issue is that the computer will not turn on

If it was just an issue with the battery, the computer would have turned on only with the AC Adapter. Try a different AC Adapter on the computer, if you can arrange one. This could give us a clearer picture of the issue.

Reseating the HDD on the computer will not erase the data on the HDD. I can provide you a suggestion to get the data backed up.

From the stores you can purchase a Hard drive case and remove the Hard drive from the computer and use the case to connect this Hard drive to another computer using the USB cable. You will be able access the data and you can do a backup of the data as well. This Hard drive case will not cost you much.

Try doing the reset of the Components that I was talking about. Let me know if you can do this.

I Work On Behalf Of HP
G98 Honor Student
Honor Student
G98
Message 5 of 7 (1,778 Views)

I had the AC adapter checked and it is fine.

I also went to a store where they placed in a new AC adapter and tried to power on without the battery.  Same problem.  Only the light by the AC adapter went on for about 5-10 seconds and then it went off.  The LED light by the touch pad did not turn on at all.

I don't know how to do a reset of the RAM, hard drive or optical drive.

I have removed the hard drive and bought that case to transfer my data.  Thank you for that tip.

Any further thoughts?  And are you sure that the laptop does not need a battery to power on when using an AC adapter?

Thanks.

Grad Student
MathewT
Message 6 of 7 (1,762 Views)

Notebook has two way power for the computer. One from the AC Adapter and the other from the Battery. Notebook has the capability of powering the computer with just one power source. Sometimes the battery controller doesn't allow the computer to start so the best way to check if by powering the computer only with the AC Adapter.

As of now it looks like an issue with the motherboard of the computer. If the computer is in warranty get in touch with the HP service center. They will fix the issue for you.

If out of warranty, get in touch with some local technicians and they might help you with fixing the motherboard.
I Work On Behalf Of HP
Student
jeffy1212
Message 7 of 7 (406 Views)

I have a hp model G71 - 449VWM. and the cord went on it and i bought another one brand new for 60.00. the light lights up beside the plug to put the power plug on lap top  so i know its getrting power. but it won`t power up . no lights. i was going to unscrew the back off but i changed my mind and put the screws back in it. now my exturnal drive  won`t even  open, theirs no light on it the tray flashing even . no give on the button that treleases the tray. Is there something i could of jammed taking out the screws and putting back in wrong.

or maybe i broke the power button inside, because before the cord broke the plug inside the lap top was very loose. a screw fell out in the corner, then i noticed it and i took a screw from another hole in the bottom of lap top and put it in the hole that was missing a screw to hold the power plug inside tighter like it should of been. maybe i broke power plug inside lap top but that doesn`t explain why the tray wont open.  help help...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation