Question

Honor Student
melmez
Message 1 of 8 (258 Views)

HP G72 wont start up. Num lock glows but not caps lock. Black screen white cursor top left corner.

I have a HP G72 b66us and it wont start up. The comp turns on and will allow me to access the start up menu when i hold the esc button on power up. The num lock key is glowing but not the caps lock. The screen is black with white cursor blinking in upper left corner. 

PhD Student
Checkurtech
Message 2 of 8 (240 Views)

Re: HP G72 wont start up. Num lock glows but not caps lock. Black screen white cursor top left corne

[ Edited ]

Hi , sounds like your o/s startup is corrupt , have you tried system repair? or checkdisk R ? Many thanks [Personal Information Removed]

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 3 of 8 (203 Views)

Re: HP G72 wont start up. Num lock glows but not caps lock. Black screen white cursor top left corne

Hello @Melmez,

I understand your computer will not boot, is that correct? I will be happy to help you.

Try to access the BIOS menu.

1. When turning the computer on tap the F10 key repeatedly
  2. Hopefully  it will lead you into the BIOS menu
  3. If successful toggle to the diagnostic menu across the top
  4. Try running the tests it shows available.

Once the tests are done press F5 or F9 to load the defaults (there will be a guide at the bottom that will confirm) then press F10 to save and exit.

Please respond back with your test results. 

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Honor Student
melmez
Message 4 of 8 (193 Views)

Hell there. Thanks for the help. I was able to perform the test and they both passed. however, at the end of the test, there was no option to see the test results...but for the memory test and primary hard disk self test passed... 

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 5 of 8 (179 Views)

Re: HP G72 wont start up. Num lock glows but not caps lock. Black screen white cursor top left corner.

Melmez,

Thank you for running the tests.

Did you load the defaults while in the BIOS menu, and try to boot?

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Honor Student
melmez
Message 6 of 8 (173 Views)

Yes i did load the defaults, saved on exit and when it continued to the boot stage, the screen continued to be black with a white blinking cursor icon in the upper left hand corner of the screen. 

:smileysad:

Honor Student
melmez
Message 7 of 8 (171 Views)

I think the system is currupt aswell. How could i preform a system reset? The main reason i want to access the computer is to take all the files from it and save it to External HD. Any suggestions?

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 8 of 8 (169 Views)

Re: HP G72 wont start up. Num lock glows but not caps lock. Black screen white cursor top left corner.

Melmez,

Try tapping the F11 key on the startup to see if that will allow you to access the recovery manager.  Here is a document that might help you also.

Let me know how this goes. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation