HP HP Pavilion dm4-3002ea Beats edition, strange fan noise (1190 Views)
Honor Student
Jack_DM4
Message 1 of 9 (1,190 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP HP Pavilion dm4-3002ea Beats edition, strange fan noise

Hey guys first post so sorry if this isnt the correct procdure to specify the problem or the right section!
I have a HP Pavilion dm4-3002ea beats edition laptop, bought about a year and a half ago (so out of warantee).

Now, the half problem I have is an awfully strange fan noise that comes from the laptop ONLY when it has been hibernated, it is purring away as I type on it now, fan working fine, no overheat or issues like that, I can game, leave it on for hours etc its perfectly fine. The only problem is hibernating it!! I always hibernate it, to keep all my university work ready to go when I go back on it, with all my tabs and such still open on the sections I need. This is fine it hibernates without a problem. Its when I go and turn it back on, it  makes a loud vibrating noise that I assume is the fan, for about 15-20 seconds (?) as its resuming from hibernation and then is perfectly fine once more. It has never made that noise after the hibernating sequence, or when I restart it. This is awfully strange and something I just want to make sure is not a real issue as I need this laptop for my University work. I can only assume its the fan that makes the noise, but it could be the HDD perhaps? Not too sure on this one. It never blue screens etc, HDD works fine so I really am at a loss here! Any advice would be appreciated.
Also I have tried to clean the fan vent, but I havent ventured into taking it apart properly yet because it looks pretty complex from youtube, looks like to access the fan ill have to pop off the keyboard and the back which is a lot of effort. But if it continues ill open it up and have a look! I would like to know what the issue is, however I dont want to mess around with the insides like i used to do with my old laptop if its something silly that Is easily fixed! Also I always hibernate it instead of shut it down, but being pretty computer literate this shouldnt do any lasting damage, am I right? I mean it just puts the data on the HDD ready to be accessed next time I turn it on? But ill shut it down more if that will help!
Another quick problem which is rather stupid since this is a HP Beats edition.. half the speakers dont work on the right side of the laptop! Irony, right! I am not too fussed as its plugged into speakers on my desk most of the time, but still this is rather annoying as well. It crackled and went off one day, and then a few times has popped on but now has seemed to give up! The other side works fine, reinstalled all the drivers etc to make sure its not hardware so I assume a loose cable? Pretty stupid really, but again another reason for me to crack it open I guess and get to the bottom of this! Also the laptops out of warantee and I dont really want to take it to a laptop shop, hoping for an old home fix for the fan noise if possible! Speakers are not that big a deal as still half works fine.

Here is the specs if needed:

HP Pavilion dm4-3002ea
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel i5 2450M CPU 2.50Ghz

12GB Ram ( I added 8gb on about 6 months ago hence the amount)

750gb HDD.

Cheers all!

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 2 of 9 (1,159 Views)

Re: HP HP Pavilion dm4-3002ea Beats edition, strange fan noise

Jack_DM4

Sounds like you are having drivers issues. I have seen the fan issue be resolved by updating the drivers and barring a hardware issue with your speakers the driver update would be the way to go to resolve the issue with your sound not working correctly on the right side.

I am linking you to the drivers page for your computer running Windows 7 64-bit below and would advise that you start with the Chipset drivers and then ensure that ALL the drivers and software are up to date on your computer.

HP Pavilion dm4-3002ea Beats Edition Entertainment Notebook PC Drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5254...

Please feel free to re-post if you have any further questions or concerns.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the left to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

"Customer service is not a department, it’s everyone’s job." - Anonymous
Honor Student
Jack_DM4
Message 3 of 9 (1,156 Views)

You reckon its a driver issue? Okay thanks, that would be great as I thought its something inside that was messing up!

I always keep things updated, its a key thing I always do, just checked windows update- no available updates.

However, I checked the HP support assistant which has the settings ticked to update automatically, but the last check was on the 10/4/2013. The next is scheduled for the 14/11/2013. Yet I cannot manually click "check for HP updates now" it is greyed out? Any idea why this is? So the last check wasnt too recently, yet I cant recheck now!
Also had a look on the HP link you have gave me (thanks by the way) and looked at the different links for dates, and most if not all have been updated on my computer. For instance I downloaded a few and it asked to rewrite the place to install, so they have been installed. In terms of the chipsets these all came out in 2011, but I have downloaded them and installed them anyway!

Also just downloaded and installed the latest version of the HP support asssistant off the HP website to see if that helped,  but it is still greyed out? I have no firewall so nothing is blocking it? Strange.
Sorry for the amount of questions! Thanks for the help so far!

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 4 of 9 (1,149 Views)

Jack_DM4

Okay it sounds like you are being thorough in your updating of your computer which is good. Now lets see if we can resolve this issue for you. Please read the questions below.

Does the sound on your computer work correctly now?

If the answer is "Yes" then this issue looks to be resolved.

If the answer is "No" then I would like to you follow the steps in the document titled "No Sound from the Speakers (Windows 7)" linked below.

No Sound from the Speakers (Windows 7)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01912228

Next, is the fan still making the same noises?

If the answer is "No" then this issue looks to be resolved.

If the answer is "Yes" then I would like to you reference the HP Support document titled "Reducing Fan Noise" linked below.

Reducing Fan Noise

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c02856779

Please re-post with an update as to the status of these issues once the steps are completed.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the left to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Honor Student
Jack_DM4
Message 5 of 9 (1,146 Views)

Updates should all be fine. The sound is only not working out the right side of my laptop still, it works fine through a cable which is not a problem as I always use speakers. I have reinstalled beats software etc, think its a dodgey cable in that aspect.

The issue is still that vibrating noise.
 I had a look at that article, have hoovered/cleaned the vents, the problem still persists. It actually vibrated again even after hibernation sequence till i tapped it and it stopped? There is nothing stuck though as the fan works fine, laptop never over heats, I use it on a desk with a cooling pad underneath, it has never overheated, as I speak now the laptop is purring quietly, no problem. Its just that annoying vibrating noise at the start of the out of hibernation sequence!!

Any idea's how I can fix it or will I have to open it up and have a look? I dont think its a hardware issue.

Thanks so much for helping by the way!

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 6 of 9 (1,145 Views)

Hi Jack_DM4

If I understand correctly you are updated but we still have the sound issue only with the laptop not on devices so it sounds like the speakers on the right side of your laptop might be gone and the vibrating is still going on with the fan but only when it first starts up which sounds like a balancing issue.

Both of these issues are hardware related but neither will cause any damage to your computer. The speakers can be replaced if you choose by contacting the HP Parts Store here and ordering new speakers and replacing them. If you are under warranty I would suggest getting them fixed under the warranty.

The vibrating issue is just the fan re-balancing itself when it first starts up once it gets up to speed the passing air forces it to hover in the center thus balancing it and when it settles back down if unbalances. If you can deal with the noise fine if not you can order a new one from the HP Parts Store link above.

If you are still under warranty I would strongly suggest you get the Notebook repaired under the warranty because you risk voiding the warranty if you open the Notebook. If this is the case

I think it would be best if you contacted HP technical support for repair options.

US Support link to contact options for laptops purchased in the US.

Outside of US Support link to contact options for laptops purchased outside the US.

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums and please feel free to re-post if you have any further questions or concerns. Have a great day!

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Honor Student
Jack_DM4
Message 7 of 9 (1,139 Views)

Thank you so much for your informative replies. The speaker which has gone on one side is no real problem so that is fine, though slightly ironic I thought, I buy a HP Beats computer, which is meant to be at the forefront of sound, and yet that is a part that stops working first! Anyway, I think you are right about the fan just balancing itself out, as it doesnt seem to affect the laptop once it is up and spinning, its a great relief to me that this will not affect the laptop or damage it!

I am out of warantee by about 6 months annoyingly, so might buy a replacement fan part at some point and get that fitted, I have looked on the site, but roughly how much do you reckon this will cost? Parts and labour fee? Just for the fan replacement. I assume its reasonably inexpensive?

Anyway, thanks again, you have been a great help and put to rest a few of my worries that my laptop was slowly failing, instead its just the fan balancing itself!

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 8 of 9 (1,135 Views)

Jack_DM4

Glad we have that sorted out for you. As for the price I cannot comment on as this site is global and prices are not the same everywhere for either the part or the service. What might cost me $20.00 may cost you $100.00 depending on currency. The link above to the HP Parts Store will provide you with the contact information for the people that can answer this question for you.

Thank you for your post here on the HP Forums it has been a pleasure helping you. Have a great day!

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Student
JiMhOlMeS89
Message 9 of 9 (1,088 Views)

Dunidar J'ai eu ce problème pendant des mois je vous remercie pour cette ... much thanks ...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation