HP Laptop Screen Fades to Black Problem (2181 Views)
Top Student
isaaclean
Message 1 of 2 (2,181 Views)

HP Laptop Screen Fades to Black Problem

[ Edited ]

I've been having a problem with my Pavilion dm4 as the monitor screen seems to fade to black while I'm doing something "resource intensive" such as playing a game. It's very annoying as I cannot see anything past the black screen, yet the processes are still running and I can still hear my music/game going on. The only "solution" I've seen is to force shutdown the laptop...

At first I thought it was the power settings so I made sure that there was no screensaver and that the monitor/computer would never dim/turn off the display/sleep through the power settings, yet the screen still fades to black sometimes. I think it has to do with the laptop overheating and I'm sure this is a sign that foreshadows very bad performance in the future. What makes things worse is that the laptop is still very new. I just got it at the very end of July at Costco so it's only about 3-4 weeks old and already has problems!

The thing is that most of the time this happens while I'm playing a game that isn't even that resource intensive. The game is known as Battlefield Heroes and it's a very light-weight game. It's not like I'm playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, or Crysis or anything like that... A laptop I paid $800 for should be able to handle a light weight game like Battlefield Heroes just fine.

I did read this topic too:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/How-many-HP-Pavillion-customers-have-the-Black-Sc...

I'm not exactly sure if it's the same exact problem as mine as it seems like some users in the topic have HP laptops that are completely dead, but if this is the same problem then I guess I'll add myself to the list.

Top Student
isaaclean
Message 2 of 2 (862 Views)

Re: HP Laptop Screen Fades to Black Problem

I posted this about a month after I got the laptop. A little more than two years later and after sending the same HP dm4 laptop 3 times to HP warranty, I can confirm that the cause of this problem has to do with the hinges. Due to the faulty design of the hinges, it eventually causes the laptop screen to have these white line problems.

You can find my post with photos on it along with other people who have the same problem here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-e-g-Windows-8/HP-Dm4-1065dx-left-hinge-broken/m-p/230...

Basically the core design of the HP dm4 is flawed... Please post pictures if you can so we can inform HP! It's unfair that we have to deal with their mistakes while they just turn away from us with our money...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation