Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP Pavillion DV6-3113sa Windows 64-bit

My notebook fails to start up first time most times and will freeze on the Windows Logo screen. When I restart the notebook it most of the time boots up but will come up with a prompt which says 'Windows did not start up normally'  and then offers me two prompts 'Start up normally' or 'Launch Start-up Repair (Recommended)'. Clicking on 'start up normally' works most of the time but when I click on the 'Start-up repair' prompt it 'checks system for problems' on the laptop and then says would you like to reset laptop from a previous restore point. I have selected most of the points and then it tells me it failed to reset all of the times. The laptop has been taking a long to load up recently aswell. I think it may be to do with the BIOS from internet research. My BIOS version is up to date (F.28) as I have checked and it should be on F.28.

Please can anyone help?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello again,

If you have already backed up your computer, you do not need to make a current backup. It would most likely be a faulty backup. This Windows System Scan can only fix your laptop's errors; I have never heard of a Windows System Scan doing harm to a computer. Okay? So, Click on and open your 'Computer Icon', then right click the OS (C) Icon and drop down to and click Properties, click and open up the Tools tab and click Error Checking/Check Now, then check both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, click Start. After a few seconds the computer will state that it will do this at the next restart, click Yes and then close and exit everything by clicking OK and restart your laptop and let it do the entire Windows System Scan. This vital Windows System Scan can easily take upwards of two hours and cannot- repeat- cannot be interfered with whatsoever for any reasons, okay? Once the scan is done, your laptop will restart itself.

Then, after the deep scan, I'd like you to install the following program. It's free, and it has Disk Doctor and Active Boost. And it will clean your system and also speed it up. After downloading, scanning for viruses and installing this program, please get back to me before running it so that I can guide you to the proper safe settings. I have been using the Pro version for about seven years on four different laptops and have never had any issues:

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

If it were a rattler. . . .

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended
Hello, I just got done helping someone else out with basically this same issue:

You may be having an issue with your hard drive. In order to properly test whether or not your hard drive is at fault, please goto the following link and download Speedfan. Once downloaded, scanned, and installed and running, open up the Smart Tab and run the hard drive tests. Please get back and post the results.

http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-1006​7444.html?tag=mncol;1#editorsreview 

HP Recommended

My laptop turns on to a white screen and that's it.  I used for 3 months and then problem!!  What could have happened?  I can't go to a website to download a possible solution.  Is the next step to take it to for repair?  Suggestions?  Anyone?

HP Recommended

Hello,

You're double posting! Please start a new thread and someone will be directly there to help you!

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for replying SSDrive

I did the extended test and short test. On my hard disk  HD0 - 320.1GB - ST9230423AS with Firmware 0006HPM1

The short test showed 'Overall Fitness for drive 90%'  and 'Overall Performance 98%' my status said 'no error'

Extended test showed

I will post the extended results when it is finished as it is taking a long time.

HP Recommended

Hello,

The short and long test are good, but please Perform An In-Depth Online Analysis Of Your Hard Drive and then copy and post the resulting address. This is a deep analysis of the hard drive, and will circumvent the codling, translating it into english terms that any layman can understand. It is quite efficient! Also, open the Info tab, and let it read your laptop's memory cards, to ensure there is no snagup there. Get back!

HP Recommended

Hi

here is the indepth analysis. http://www.hddstatus.com/hdrepanalysis.php

I dont think you can read them I will try and print screen it for you and Here it is...

Online In-Depth Analysis of Hard Disk.png

HP Recommended

Hello again,

First off, Your hard drive is in excellent shape! That's GOOD!

Secondly, have you run a complete System Scan? If not, got to System drives, OS (C) and right click, drop down to and click Properties, open up the Tools tab and click Error Checking/Check Now, then check both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, click start. After a few seconds the computer will state that it will do this at the next restart, click Yes and then exit and restart your laptop and let it do the entire scan. This vital scan can take upwards of two hours and cannot- repeat- cannot be interfered with whatsoever, okay? Once the scan is done, your laptop will restart.

Then, after the deep scan, I'd like you to install the following program. It's free, and it has Disk Doctor and Active Boost. And it will clean your system and also speed it up. After downloading, scanning and installing this program, please get back to me before running it so that I can guide you to the proper safe settings. I have been using the Pro version for about seven years on four different laptops and have never had any issues:

HP Recommended

Hello,

Where can I locate the System Drives to do the scan on my laptop? Also do I need to back up my notebook before doing the scan?

HP Recommended

Hello again,

If you have already backed up your computer, you do not need to make a current backup. It would most likely be a faulty backup. This Windows System Scan can only fix your laptop's errors; I have never heard of a Windows System Scan doing harm to a computer. Okay? So, Click on and open your 'Computer Icon', then right click the OS (C) Icon and drop down to and click Properties, click and open up the Tools tab and click Error Checking/Check Now, then check both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, click Start. After a few seconds the computer will state that it will do this at the next restart, click Yes and then close and exit everything by clicking OK and restart your laptop and let it do the entire Windows System Scan. This vital Windows System Scan can easily take upwards of two hours and cannot- repeat- cannot be interfered with whatsoever for any reasons, okay? Once the scan is done, your laptop will restart itself.

Then, after the deep scan, I'd like you to install the following program. It's free, and it has Disk Doctor and Active Boost. And it will clean your system and also speed it up. After downloading, scanning for viruses and installing this program, please get back to me before running it so that I can guide you to the proper safe settings. I have been using the Pro version for about seven years on four different laptops and have never had any issues:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.