HP Mini 110-1100 *Primary master hard disk error?? (5460 Views)
Honor Student
nukeproof5358
Message 1 of 10 (5,460 Views)

HP Mini 110-1100 *Primary master hard disk error??

When I power up my computer (HP Mini 110-1100) it will beep 11 times and I see the following:

HP Logo in center

<F9> = Change boot device order

<F10> = BIOS Setup Options

When I press F9 it does nothing

When I press F10 it takes me to a black screen with American Megatrends logo on it with the following text:

BIOS Ver: 308f0f19  EC Ver: 02.10

Entering SETUP...

Press F12 if you want to boot from network

Boot Selection popup menu has been selected

The MCH is operating with DDR2-533/CL4 in single-channel mode

1016MB OK

Auto-Detecting pri master..IDE Hard Disk

Primary master hard disk error

Press F1 TO Resume

When I press F1 it takes me to the blue/grey screen BIOS SETUP UTILITY

The Primary Hard Disk self test was "not supported". I ran a memory test and it passed and completed without error.

We got the computer 1/2010 and it only gets used 3-4days a week for a few hours at a time, nothing major. There hasn't been any recent hardware or software changes made to the system. The only thing I noticed yesterday was a beeping/screeching sound coming from the bottom of the computer for about 10seconds then it went away. I used the computer a few times after that without any problems then went to use it this morning and here I am. I not really sure what to do from here so any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!! 

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 2 of 10 (5,457 Views)

Re: HP Mini 110-1100 *Primary master hard disk error??

I guess hard drive/hard disk might have failed which is causing this problem.

Turn OFF the Notebook and once its powered ON, keep Pressing F10 to load BIOS screen of the Notebook. In this screen under Diagnostics, run the test on hard drive and memory. Post back the results here.

Also in startup menu there is an alternate way where you can run F2 (System Diagnostics). The instructions can be found at below link
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01443317

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Honor Student
nukeproof5358
Message 3 of 10 (5,448 Views)

The Primary Hard Disk self test was "not supported". I ran a memory test and it passed and completed without error.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Honor Student
nukeproof5358
Message 4 of 10 (5,437 Views)

From the multiple stories I've read online, it sounds like the hard drive is shot.

Does HP or a dealer sell a replacement hard drive with the software and drivers already installed so I can plug and play or will I have to download everything to get this computer working again?

Thanks

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 5 of 10 (5,430 Views)

You would not get a replacement hard drive with software and drivers already installed. You have to install a blank hard drive and order recovery disks/kit from below link

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00810334

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Honor Student
mikkss
Message 6 of 10 (2,793 Views)

Hello,
As suggested by many my hp mini 110 has the same problem n tried everything that is available even a new hard disk but still the same problem occurs n in bios setting the hard disk is not showing n the test is passed n completed without errors what should I do to run the laptop.
Thanks
Honor Student
mikkss
Message 7 of 10 (2,792 Views)

N I will be grateful if someone helps me
Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 8 of 10 (2,774 Views)

Hey mikkss, 

I'm sorry you're running into this hard disk error. If I understand correctly, you said you get the same error as everyone else. Is that the "primary master hard disk error"? You said the hard drive does not show up in BIOS but you were able to run the Diagnostics test on the hard drive and it passed with no errors?

If I'm paraphrasing correctly, I would recommend running the Run-In test. It is a stress test on the main components that runs over and over again until it is stopped with the ESC key by the user. I would suggest letting it run through at least 6 or 7 iterations to see if any of those iterations get a failure code or failure ID.

• To get to the Diagnostics test
  • Shutdown the notebook
  • Power on and immediately start tapping ESC to bring up the Startup Menu
  • From the Startup Menu, press F2 System Diagnostics
  • You'll see a list of tests to choose from, choose the Run-In Test and let it run several times. 
  • Watch it to see if any of the iterations fail. 
  • Reply with the Failure ID or 30X error.
Honor Student
mikkss
Message 9 of 10 (2,757 Views)

Hello,
As instructed by you I have done the same but in no use it is just displaying the same thing I.e reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device an press a key it would be thankful if someone from the community helps me thanks
Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 10 of 10 (2,723 Views)

If you've already replaced the hard drive and it still isn't being recognized, there could be a motherboard problem. I would suggest taking it to a local repair shop where they can properly diagnose it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation