Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hii thanks for reading!

I've had my laptop for a good 3 years or so (I can't remember), and this problem didn't happen until last week.

I would be playing on my laptop and it randomly shuts off.
Sometimes it does it a few times before it even gets to windows login.
Also when it shuts down all my multimedia lights on my touch panel are still ON. (mute, wireless, Sount volume, play, stop, rewind, fast foward) Simetimes it doesnt it a few times befoer windows login, sometimes in about 15 minutes of use and sometimes a few hours to overnight.

I found it was turned off and booting the laptop back up a message saying "it was turned off improperly start in safe mode? run normally? etc."

At first, I thought it was a heating/air flow problem, so I decided to use compressed air in a can to blow out the dust. Still, the same problem. Then realized it couldnt be a heating problem becuase ill turn it on after not using it for 24 hours(Cold start) and it still does it.

When it shuts down randomly it will ""sometimes"" make a buzzing noise across my sound panel. Then it turns off in about 1-2 seconds.

At this point, I don't know what to do. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks in advance!

i will include some pictures of hwat my computer looks like when it shuts down and wht lights stay lit.

20130110_180217.jpg20130110_180240.jpg20130110_180300.jpg
9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
Also I noticed my computer stays on longer if I don't touch it. But it will turn off faster if I'm playing with it or just browsing
HP Recommended

Could you please give me the exact model number of your notebook?

You can use the following document if you need assistance in finding it.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I have a similar problem with DV7-3164CL notebook.  There are no random shutdowns; in fact, everything is working perfectly EXCEPT when I shut down, the machine shuts down (power led on front and top left goes off) but the mute led, volume, multi-media controls and the wireless adapter (now orange) stay lit.  There is no drive activity and, aside from the led's remaining lit, it would appear the machine has indeed shut down.

I have done a full system recovery, done all driver updates from HP, all Windows updates, latest bios installed.  The problem consistently presents itself.  I am now leaning toward a hardware failure issue or perhaps a loose connector under the led panel?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, in advance.

Bob R.

HP Recommended

@Boman47,

I understand your system's touch buttons do not power off when the system is shut down.

What happens if a hard reset is done per the instructions for systems with a removable battery.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have tried the hard reset; symptoms still occur.  Touch buttons are fully functional when machine is powered up.  Everything works great--no faults, no blue screens, start-up and shut-down occur normally.  When shut down, the power leds go out; the speaker mute, volume slider, mm controls and the wireless led all remain on.  The mute and wireless leds are white and blue respectively when the machine is on; both are amber when shut down.  The leds being on with the AC unplugged drained a fully-charged battery overnight!  That's the problem with just leaving well enough alone.

I just got done removing the led panel and keyboard to check the cable connections.  I reseated them all, put it back together and the same symptoms occur.  This one is baffling me.  Perhaps the led board itself is bad?

I'm open to any suggestions at this time.

Thanks again for the quick reply!

Bob R.

HP Recommended

Well since this was my thread i figured i would give u an update. My computer doesnt turn on any more at all. Same issues Same blinking lights. According to HP the flash codes  says its a bios issue. But eveyone else says sounds like graphics...

HP Recommended

Since this was your original thread, I'll throw in my two cents.  My experience with the DV series of laptops is that their design is subject to heat damage to the gpu, cpu, and motherboard itself if it gets too hot.  The "frying sounds" you heard suggests that the damage has already been done.  Blowing it out now after 3 years of use is like closing the barn door after the horse gets out.  The fan and heat sink wlll not cool the machine if there is dust on the heat sink fins.  Also, the cpu has a maximum temp that when reached, will shut the machine down hard, to protect itself.  The lights that remain on on your machine is similar to my problem, which is motherboard related.

I use TucsonPCRepair when needed.  He is a certified Dell/HP technician and his prices are very reasonable.  I contacted him regarding my DV7--the one where the panel lights stay on after shutdown.  He said that that is definitely a hardware issue, particularly since my machine did not exhibit any software problems, blue screens, shutdowns, etc.  It works perfectly, except those lights stay on and drain the battery.  He said that replacing the motherboard would be cheaper than tracing the problem on the board.  I sent it to him this morning.  He will install a brand new Intel motherboard for $100 plus return shipping.  That includes the board and labor which is intensive on a DV7 and includes reloading the hard drive, since mine is an AMD Turion machine.  I think his is a very reasonable quote.

On yours, I imagine he would check the cpu and gpu first and replace as necessary; then, if the chips are ok, he would replace the motherboard.  Send him the machine and he will give you an estimate for repair.  You can choose to have him do the repair or return it as is (at your cost).  Since your DV7 is only three years old, I would think it would be worth fixing rather than tossing it.  A new motherboard is pretty much a new machine.

Contact info is:  {Personal Information Removed} to describe the problem and get an initial estimate.  Website is http://tucsonpcrepair.com/ which will provide you with all the info you need.  I have used his service 8-10 times now, when client's laptops are in need of severe hardware work and I am totally satisfied with his service.  He is trustworthy and will not "gouge" you with unnecessary repairs and costs.

I hope this helps.  I have 30 years of computer experience and have dealt with 4 DV series laptops that were fried and in need of new gpu's, cpu's (usually not) and/or motherboard replacements.  Your problem is DEFINITELY a hardware issue and it needs repair, no matter who you use for the repair.  It's too nice a machine to just throw out.  Good Luck!

Bob R. 

HP Recommended

@Boman47,

Sorry for the late response.  If the hard reset did not clear the issue, then it is a motherboard issue as TucsonPCRepair stated.  I wanted to start with something simple and quick to try before making that declaration in the chance that it did resolve it.  

Thank you for updating the community.  🙂

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Figured I'd jump in this thread since I have the exact same Notebook that I'm currently having problems with as well.

Here is the thread I had started...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-e-g-Windows-8/HP-Pavilion-dv7-3164cl-battery-not-char...

I took mine initially to a nice older gentleman that runs his own pc repair shop, he told me the heat sink(?) or some chip that was in regards to power perhaps (?) (forgive me as I already forgot what exactly it was he changed, but I did see the Notebook taken apart in pieces (man so many pieces) and he showed me the little squishy cooling block thingy he was replacing.

I'm thinking the harware part of my problem has already been adressed (although I could be wrong) and now I'm just trying to figure out why it won't charge the almost dead battery.

Any help is much appreciated.

I don't want to order a replacement battery if it isn't necsesarry nor do I really want to send it in if I can avoid it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.