Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Good points.  I've tried all combinations now of BIOS fan enabled/disabled and addubg thermal.off=1 to the kernel or not.  In my case, unfortunately, the keyboard and trackpad continue to lock soon after booting into Linux.  I'm writing this now, in fact, on an external USB keyboard since my main one is frozen.

I still believe it is temperature related in some way, but my earlier assertion that it occurs with the temp trip point was incorrect.  I'd say any time it's over 60 degrees it can go at any moment.  At some point the trip point on my machine was reset to 97 degrees.  It never got that hot but was still consistently freezing, My current reading (I don't have thermal.off=1 at the moment):

Thermal 0: ok, 63.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode hot at temperature 100.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 1 switches to mode passive at temperature 97.0 degrees C

I will note that enabling or disabling the BIOS fan behavior appears to do just what it say -- enabling/disabling *always* on.  So it was fine to disable it -- the fan still came on at appropriate times.

Giving the thermal.off=1 parameter to the kernel seemed to raise the temperatures a little -- usually to about 70 degrees or so when watching a basic video (I was using the Firefox intro video -- it froze my keyboard constantly -- http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/12.0/firstrun/).  I did run the computer for a while with the BIOS setting to disabled and the thermal.off=1 setting.  The machine did get a little hot but nothing too bad.  The keyboard/track pad still froze.  After a quick reboot I would check the temperatures with thermal enabled and it never really got over 72 degrees or so.

After a reboot I was even noticing keyboard lock-up in the GRUB boot loader screen as I was trying to pass parameters to the kernel.  This is an aggravating issue.  Not sure what to do next.  At this point, I'm getting Keyboard/Track pad freezes with little or no activity.  Doesn't appear cpu, disk, network, or temperature ranges play any part in triggering the freeze. I'll add a few notes here from dmesg:

DMI: Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dm1 Notebook PC/3387, BIOS F.14 2/13/2012

ACPI: acpi_idle registered with cpuidle

[Firmware Bug]: Invalid critical threshold (0)

thermal LNXTHERM:00: registered as thermal_zone0

ACPI: Thermal Zone [THRM] (64 C)

Finally, in case someone gets this working in a specific distro, I started troubleshooting this on Debian Squeeze.  Also tried latest Ubuntu.  Now running Fedora 17.  All seem to hit this bug on this machine (dm1-4010us).

Cheers,

HP Recommended
In my case (dm1-4160ca) I was experiencing total lockups, not just keyboard/trackpad. I couldn't ping it from another machine or find any sign of life. Could be unrelated or semi-related problems.
HP Recommended

Using my HP dm1 4125sa (e-450 +radeon graphics), I am also experiencing a total freeze with no external keyboard, network access or sysrq response. Also with multiple kernel versions across several distros.  Thinking it was a temperature related issue, I have been having success for a day or two with no freezes, by forcing the cpu into powersave mode and thus limiting the cpu speed to the lowest frequency. However, I have now switched to the kernel boot option mentioned previously "thermal.off=1" and re-enabled ondemand cpu control. So far, over a couple of days, I have had no freezes.  I will report back in a few days or if I get another freeze.

HP Recommended

Thinking about it I am not convinced that it is a thermal issue, at least the total freezes one. Maybe for the keyboard and mouse one it is thermal, but I never found anything that could make it freeze systematically. Some days I could use and abuse the system for hours on end, stressing it out seriously, and others it might freeze up in the first twenty minutes. Also if I had music playing I would get the last quarter second repeated several times, maybe indefinitely - I never waited long before rebooting.

HP Recommended

I'm not convinced it's thermal either.  It does appear like people are experiencing slightly different "freeze" behavior.  In my case, it's always keyboard/trackpad.  I can still use the computer normally with usb attached keyboard/mouse.  If I suspend/resume I get the keyboard/trackpad back for a while.

The *timing* of the freezes seems to be why people think it must be thermal -- if I've been away from the machine for very long (it' cool) it takes a while for the freeze to happen (usually 20 minutes or so) after that, it will freeze on every boot after just a few minutes (it's warmed up).  This behavior could be explained, however, in a number of ways that aren't thermal, I suppose.  Also, I can boot from this state back into Windows and I don't have any problems with the keyboard/trackpad.  Furthermore my operating temperature us around 60C which should be a perfectly acceptable -- and yet the freezes continue.

I've tried numerous distros at this point and am currently running off USB live devices for testing -- if it's usb related this may be exacerbating the problem.

A recent thing I noticed last night was that even though the keyboard/trackpad is frozen, the special function keys work -- brightness controls and the wireless disable key.  Looking in /sys/device/ I see that the HP special keys get a separate controller from the keyboard and trackpad.  Playing with the BIOS settings related to the function keys didn't have any noticeable difference.  So even though the keyboard is frozen, another device that uses the keyboard is still responding to key activity.

Here's a list of the devices on my machine (dm1-4010us) that are using keyboard and/or mouse handlers:

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0001 Version=0000
N: Name="Power Button"
P: Phys=PNP0C0C/button/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input0
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd event0 
B: PROP=0
B: EV=3
B: KEY=10000000000000 0

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0001 Version=0000
N: Name="Power Button"
P: Phys=LNXPWRBN/button/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input2
H: Handlers=kbd event2 
B: KEY=10000000000000 0

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=ab83
N: Name="AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio0/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input3
H: Handlers=sysrq kbd event3 
B: EV=120013
B: KEY=20000 20 0 0 500f02100003 3803078f900d401 feffffdfffefffff fffffffffffffffe
B: MSC=10
B: LED=7

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0006 Version=0000
N: Name="Video Bus"
P: Phys=LNXVIDEO/video/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A08:00/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input4
H: Handlers=kbd event4 
B: KEY=3e000b00000000 0 0 0

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=05c8 Product=032b Version=0108
N: Name="HP TrueVision HD"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:12.2-3/button
S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.2/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/input/input7
H: Handlers=kbd event7 
B: KEY=100000 0 0 0

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0000 Version=0000
N: Name="HP WMI hotkeys"
P: Phys=wmi/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/virtual/input/input9
H: Handlers=kbd event9 
B: EV=33
B: KEY=4000000000 0 1000700000000 2100400 0 0
B: MSC=10
B: SW=22

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0007 Version=01b1
N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input15
H: Handlers=mouse1 event6 
B: PROP=9
B: EV=b
B: KEY=6420 30000 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=260800011000003

While I think it's pretty common for all of these device to use the kbd handler I wonder if one of them may be causing the problem.  It's frustrating not having a place to start from -- turned on debug for some of the kernel modules (i8042) but they aren't really giving me much information that appears helpful.

At one point I got this at startup and the keyboard/trackpad were frozen:

[   36.860195] input: PS/2 Generic Mouse as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input13
[   37.060096] psmouse serio1: Failed to enable mouse on isa0060/serio1

But then ten minutes later they started working suddenly:

[  433.522028] psmouse serio1: Mouse at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization, throwing 2 bytes away.

But it soon froze again after a couple minutes.  In this case I was confused as to why it thought it was a PS/2 Generic Mouse.  Normally it detects as Synaptics TouchPad as you can see from these (somewhat rare) error messages:

[   33.632233] input: PS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input13
[   33.832101] psmouse serio1: Failed to enable mouse on isa0060/serio1

All in all, pretty frustrating.

HP Recommended

I would just like to make a note that when using Ubuntu on a virtual disk with the WUBI (Windows Ubuntu Installer) I would have lots of strange problems such as partial lock-ups of the keyboard and trackpad, but after getting a separate harddrive and installing Ubuntu as the sole operating system upon it, the keyboard/trackpad issues stopped and the rest of the lock-ups that I suffered were always when using something that involved graphics hardware acceleration. I played with every video driver I could, even the open-source one, but they all freeze.

After disabling the thermal in the bootloader, I haven't had a single lock-up except once when I was trying to configure a dual monitor setup, but that was probably *my* fault. 😛

I'm not able to watch videos in 1080p and even had VLC play 8 movies at the same time and render them all at the same time transparently on a rotating octagon with KDE. This brought my temperature to 175 farenheit and I experienced no lock-ups.

I'm extremely appreciative that you guys got my netbook working with Linux and I really hope that you can get yours working as well! 

HP Recommended

Hi all, just a quick update....

I'm happy to report that i'm on day 7 since applying the changes i referred to in my first post and still not a single lockup.  I had tried several different distros and versions of fedora and ubuntu derivatives with no success prior to this. Currently i'm using Mint 13 xfce.

With the fan setting "FAN ALWAYS ON <ENABLED>" the BIOS does vary the fan speed as required and under stress testing the temp did not rise above 82C and under light load is usally around 58-60C.

The specs for my model are as follows:

DM1-4160ca

AMD E-450 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics

4GB RAM

VGA compatible controller : Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler [Radeon HD 6320]
Audio device : Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6250/6310]

Network controller : Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
Ethernet controller : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)

Disk Drive: ATA ST640LM000 HM641

-BIOS-
          Date : 05/29/2012
          Vendor : Hewlett-Packard (www.hp.com)
          Version : F.16
          Board:
          Name : 3387
          Vendor : Hewlett-Packard (www.hp.com)

This is a Canadian model with French/English keyboard which has some extra keys.

i gather from these posts and other forums that the DM1 is a quirky little bugger.  I wish you all luck in solving your particular problems.

HP Recommended

I can confirm that thermal.off=1 and blacklisting the sp5100_tco completely solved my freezing problems!

Model: DM1-4000SD

Fortunately for me, I do not have the keyboard problem. I read on the arch linux forums about someone who send his Pavilion back to HP to have the touchpad and keyboard replaced but that did not help. See here:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1131498#p1131498

So it seems firmware/bios/software related. I also updated the bios on my system to F.16 so maybe that might help for the keyboard freezing as well?

HP Recommended

I experienced keyboard/touchpad freeze. 

Yesterday I set thermal.off=1 and turned off WiFi and it works so far 🙂

At the moment uptime is over 3,5 hrs - it never lasted that long before on linux.

When I get back home I will test it with WiFi enabled but for now it seems the thermal.off=1 solves both issues (I hope).

HP Recommended

Glad to hear people are getting it to work.  I think we might have two separate but possibly related issues:

• Complete lockup -- happens in Linux
  • Keyboard/trackpad stops responding -- happens in Linux and Windows

My Dm1-4010us has the keyboard/trackpad stops responding issue.  I tested it pretty extensively for the first time yesterday in Windows and was able to consistently cause it to stop responding with heavy video and disk activity.  I think it may just be a crappy hardware implementation or even a manufacturing defect.  At this point I think I'm going to rely on the HP return policy.  Did I mention I've had this computer less than a week?

A can verify that setting thermal.off=1 and blacklisting the sp5100_tco had no effect for my issue.  But it appears to help for some.  Good luck, folks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.