Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello all!

Recently my laptop (HP Pavilion  DV4 2145dx with Windows 7) was having issues charging. With the AC adapter plugged in the side light would come on and the battery icon would recognize the charger but would read: 12% plugged in, not charging. After numerous attempts inserting and reinserting the charger, I decided to go online, to this very forum for help. I found a person who was experiencing a similar problem who was told to first run a battery check and if the battery proved to be fine, to try updating their system BIOS. So I did just that and found that my battery was in good condition. I then tried installing the BIOS update from HP. However, upon downloading this update, my computer crashed and since has not been able to power on. Whenever I try and start the computer, all the power lights turn on, the screen remains black and the fan turns on as well. The caps lock and num lock key lights also blink in a 4's pattern. Any information on what happened or how I can correct the problem would be most appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That would be the quickest way to get the issue resolved.

Here are contact options for computers purchased in the US.

Here are contact options for computers purchased outside the US.

If I have been helpful or if you’d like to say thanks you can click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.  I really appreciate it!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello Stiz,

I see that you are having start up issues with your HP computer. I have a couple of suggestions that may help with your issue.

Here is a link to a document explaining blink codes. You stated the lights on the keyboard were blinking 4 times. According to the article that means the graphics controller is not functioning and you will need to contact HP for repair.

Here is a link to some troubleshooting steps that you can try first.

Let me know what happens.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended

I tried the hard reset on the troubleshooting page and so far nothing. Would it be best to simply contact HP for repairs at this point, and if so, what number do I reach them at for this type of issue?

Thanks for all the help!

HP Recommended

That would be the quickest way to get the issue resolved.

Here are contact options for computers purchased in the US.

Here are contact options for computers purchased outside the US.

If I have been helpful or if you’d like to say thanks you can click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.  I really appreciate it!

Signature

HP Recommended
Re: Battery charges but ac power not recognized Presario CQ61
Options
‎04-19-2013 03:59 AM

Sounds like the problem I had with a laptop after upgrade to a newer bios version. After the upgrade the powersupply won't be reconized anymore. With the original powersupply I couldn't startup the laptop. I connected a bigger powersupply (same voltage but delivers more amperes). With this powersupply I could at least startup the laptop again but stil wouldn't be regonized.

I noticed when I switched back to the original powersupply that the powersupply was regonized for a brief moment.

I downgraded the bios to the old version and everything works fine again with the original powersupply.

To downgrade I had to trick the software.

The software to upgrade or dowgrade the bios checks that the powersupply is connected. This check wil be performed by starting up the software and when you start the bios up- or downgrade.

When I start the software I switched the original powersupply. After it was started I changes back. Before I excecuted the downgrade I switch again to the original powersupply and during downgrade I switched back.

After reboot everything was working fine again. The old powersupply will be recognized again.

See also post: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Presario-CQ61-260EJ-won-t-boot-after-BIO...

The problem started when I updated to from version F03.A to F23. Problem was resolved when I downgraded to the old bios version.
HP Recommended

Wijbren,

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it, but I ended up simply sending the computer to HP for repairs. Should the issue happen again (I really hope not) I'll be sure to try your advice.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am facing the same problem on my DV4-2145dx has been almost a year! I checked on HP website, but the oldest one is F.15!! So, how did you manage to get your old version... F.03 or any other...

many thanks!

HP Recommended
Spoiler

the type is unknown on the support forum.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.