Question

Honor Student
Scarcitycrow
Message 1 of 4 (2,666 Views)

HP Pavilion DV4000 CTO bricked after BIOS update to F.17

Is there any hope? I tried using a USB floppy drive and the phoenix BIOS recovery utility. Neither key combo booted the USB floppy. So what now?

Intern
MasterUMC
Message 2 of 4 (2,655 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion DV4000 CTO bricked after BIOS update to F.17

You can try contacting HP to see if they will take responsibility for the repair. If not, here are your options: replace the BIOS chip, they are on Ebay but you will need a local repair shop that can solder and do it well to replace the chip. You can contact a 3rd party BIOS repair place such as fixedbios.com or aqstech to do the bios repair for about $99 or you can replace the motherboard.

Honor Student
Scarcitycrow
Message 3 of 4 (2,640 Views)

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info.

Student
affen15
Message 4 of 4 (1,654 Views)

Hi, did you enter BIOS setup and enable startupe from a USB port? I think it is close to last on the list and may not be enabled to start up from. So you need to edit the BIOS, enable if not enabled and move the USB port up to top of the list so that it starts to boot from the USB port. If not it will get stuck while trying to boot from defective windows files and freeze up which is what you are experiencing now. It will also be handy to have some ol-fashioned dos-like programs on another stick to fix things if you get into your machine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation