HP Pavilion DV5-1002NR wont start up... (2204 Views)
Honor Student
ViaDomus712
Message 1 of 7 (2,204 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Pavilion DV5-1002NR wont start up...

[ Edited ]

Recently while playing Team Fortress 2, my laptop shut itself off ( as a safety precaution- i guess CPU was too hot?)

and i waited a while to turn it back on... and it does not turn on. The only thing that flashes (while running on battery) 

is the lightning bolt LED, that flashes 3 times each time i press the power button.

Something stranger is that my laptop is also not accepting an A/C Charge (I.e the LED isnt lit when A/C is plugged in)

My fear is that i bricked the machine, which is unfortunate since i  have alot of pictures on the hard drive, as well as some of 

my important projects for school...

Any help would be nice...

Is it strange to have DV5-1002NR in the States? since NR seems like a code for the Netherlands

extra info: Laptop is almost 3 years since i bought it, and recently replaced screen , as well as fixed a fuzzy screen graphics issue. 

HARD RESET does not do anything...

Top Student
El_Sifon
Message 2 of 7 (2,191 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion DV5-1002NR wont start up...

I don't know if this will solve your problem but I once had a laptop that did the same thing.  I tried everything to get it to turn on.  Then I removed the battery and it booted right up.  I hope this works for you. 

Honor Student
ViaDomus712
Message 3 of 7 (2,175 Views)

unfortunately, im still on the same boat, but with a bigger hole in it... My Laptop wont even accept an A/C Charge let alone boot up... the thing is though, i cant tell if its still saveable or did it brick itself?

Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 4 of 7 (2,172 Views)

ViaDomus712 wrote:

unfortunately, im still on the same boat, but with a bigger hole in it... My Laptop wont even accept an A/C Charge let alone boot up... the thing is though, i cant tell if its still saveable or did it brick itself?

Try a new AC adapter.  If there's no light when it's plugged in then it's not getting power (that's why the lights flashed - the battery is dead).  If a new power adapter doesn't work then there's an issue with the power jack or system board.

Top Student
chaika
Message 5 of 7 (2,164 Views)

My DV5-1002nr had a similar problem. I put it into sleep mode by closing the lid, and the next day all I got was a blank screen at startup. It turns out that there is some problem with the RAM socket. When I unplug the top RAM stick, the machine works fine. I swapped sticks, but same result, and either stick will work as long as the top slot is empty. I am on this forum trying to find an HP phone number to call to have the PC fixed.

Honor Student
ViaDomus712
Message 6 of 7 (2,152 Views)

I actually tried that with my sisters AC adapter, but might also try to use the battery out of her laptop, as it is of the same family and the batteries are switchable... My battery is dead, and i think the event shorted out my AC adapter ... i know this because i used my sisters battery and it came back to life... although i think the power system on my laptop may be fried... Kudos to you, mate

Student
JuanPedro
Message 7 of 7 (1,856 Views)

I hade the same problem.  After doing a sleep shut down it would not come up.  Removing and reinstalling the battery corrected the malfunction.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation