Question

Honor Student
araT85
Message 1 of 3 (220 Views)

HP Pavilion DV6614TX dying; screen tiling itself & glitchy graphics? (+PICS)

[ Edited ]

I have a bit of a stupid question for you all, mum's laptop (a ~4 year old HP Pavilion DV6614TX running Windows 7) is on the fritz; when watching stock market videos or playing graphic-intensive games (like DX-ball) the computer freezes, graphics get pixely & it eventually crashes. It's BSODd once, but by the time I got there to see it close up to read the error code it restarted, most of the time it just outright crashes sans-BSOD. It's also tiling the display occasionally when these lock-ups occur, or on start-up after a lock-up, it basically repeats the display 6 times tiled on the monitor.... i don't really know how to describe that succinctly, so I hope it makes sense to you.

SO I'm thinking it could be one of 3 things, RAM, Graphics card / graphics card memory, or just plain ol' overheating.

I've pulled the laptop apart & took to its fan with the hand vac for lack of an air compressor, but it's still starting up with the display tiled.. in fact, I can't seem to get it to start up without the display tiled at all now. I've just taken a pic of the phenomenon & will attach it in case I haven't described it well enough.

I'm replacement-shopping as we speak, but I'm hoping we can get at least a week or so (if not longer), out of this thing to give me some time to buy & set up a replacement for her.

Do you have any brilliant ideas? I'm about ready to call it dead & pull the HDD.

Thanks in advance!

Honor Student
araT85
Message 2 of 3 (195 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion DV6614TX dying; screen tiling itself & glitchy graphics? (+PICS)

It seems to be crashing more & more frequently, to the point that I can't see the desktop for more than 30 secs or so by now before it crashes, that tells me there's something else hinky going on too - I'd say this this is all typical overheating damage.

I've given in, pulled the HDD & pronounced it dead, ordered it's replacement (another HP of course), the funeral is on Tuesday, lol.

You can mark this thread as 'closed' or 'solved', or whatever you do here...

Student
cpdjoza
Message 3 of 3 (172 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion DV6614TX dying; screen tiling itself & glitchy graphics? (+PICS)

I have the same exact problem. I tried a system restore but didn't help so I ruled out anything bad downloaded. As you suspect must be a hardware issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation