Re: HP Pavilion DV7 - 7008TX - Freezes when Laptop Lid Opened - No Event Logs Requires Hard Reboot (471 Views)
Top Student
Snoopstaa
Message 1 of 7 (506 Views)

HP Pavilion DV7 - 7008TX - Freezes when Laptop Lid Opened - No Event Logs Requires Hard Reboot

Hi,

I have a reccuring intermittent problem with my HP DV7 7008tx Laptop (Windows 7 64 bit), I bought this laptop about 4 months ago and have had the issue since purchase, the issue occurs 1-3 times a week.

The problem appears to be centered around the laptop screen, when opened Windows 7 freezes and has to be hard reset by holding down the power button.

BIOS and drivers are all up to date.

There are no errors in the Windows event log.

I have checked the power management settings and tried to restore to defaults and create new ones, but that doesn't seem to help. I have the laptop set to do nothing when screen is closed.

The freeze is very strange also, sometimes the keyboard still responds (to an extent) and mostly the mouse allows movement (and changes from busy to normal state if hovered over different windows), but essentially all of the applications and window are completely frozen. Sometimes the trackpad allows mouse movement, but the usb mouse does not.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what this may be, have a solution or if anyone has experienced similar?

Thanks in advance

Master's Graduate
SSDdrive
Message 2 of 7 (492 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion DV7 - 7008TX - Freezes when Laptop Lid Opened - No Event Logs Requires Hard Reboot

Hello Snoopstaa,

Firstly, thank you for posting your model no. in this thread. Next, please open up Windows 7 'Start Menu' and type, without quotes, 'reliability' and then press Enter. This will open up the Reliability Monitor, which will tell you the OS's short-commings. Please post back the results. 

I am a :smileyhappy:volunteer!

If it were a rattler. . . . Rattlesnake, that is. . .

Top Student
Snoopstaa
Message 3 of 7 (476 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion DV7 - 7008TX - Freezes when Laptop Lid Opened - No Event Logs Requires Hard Reboot

Untitled.png

I tried to attach the full XML report but it was too large to post, I've looked through the report fully and there are no details of the error aside from the resulting Windows was not properly shut down (after I have performed a hard reset) when the system has frozen.

Master's Graduate
SSDdrive
Message 4 of 7 (471 Views)

Hell again Snoopstaa,

Thank you. Nice pic. Now in the Reliability Window it states View by Day or Week, you have Week highlighted, please click Day and then click and highlight the Day where the issue first began and pic post back. You can click the small arrow on the left of the upper graph to travel back through time. The first day will be the first time that the Reliabilitiy Window's upper graph dropped down to 1-2 from a rock solid 10.

I am a :smileyhappy:volunteer!

If it were a rattler. . . . Rattlesnake, that is. . .

Top Student
Snoopstaa
Message 5 of 7 (269 Views)

I have finally resolved my issue after over a year.

For anybody else, here is how I did it.

Firstly I opened the Intel RST Management console and disabled acceleration from the SSD drive that acted as a Cache for the primary drive. Once I did this the freezing stopped completely, turning it back on meant that the issue came back.

Upon identifying that Intel SSD caching was the problem, I did some more googling and found that it may be due to the Link Power Management functionality within Windows 7 causing a conflict.

I followed the registry setitng changes from this site and for the last 4 weeks have not had a reccurance of the issue.

Hope this helps anyone else who may also be having this issue:

http://windowsforum.com/threads/intermittent-ssd-freezing-on-newer-laptops.69796/

Top Student
Snoopstaa
Message 6 of 7 (265 Views)

In case the site disappears here is the reg entry (not my work)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port0]

"LPM"=dword:00000000
"LPMDSTATE"=dword:00000000
"DIPM"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port3]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port4]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port5]

Top Student
Snoopstaa
Message 7 of 7 (125 Views)

[ Edited ]

I thought I had found the solution to this problem

The fix identified in this Topic resolved the issue of freezing due to the laptop lid being opened, however my laptop  still freezes intermittently at random and still requires hard resetting and rebooting to resolve.

On deactivating 'acceleration' of the SSD on the Windows hard drive the freezes do not occur.

The problem is clearly with either the SSD or the Intel RST drivers.

I have checked the health of the HP Samsung SSD and it reports as healthy. I have changed the SSD so it is no longer used as acceleration for the Windows hard drive, mounted it as a usable drive and it works as expected. I do not believe there is a problem with the SSD itself.

There are new Intel RST drivers available from Intel however HP has not released them for my HP Pavilion DV7 7008-tx Win 7.

The latest HP Intel RST driver is v11.0 however the most recent version of the RST driver from Intel is v12.9.

I tried to install the Intel 12.9 version of the drivers, but doing so caused Windows to Freeze during boot and the only remedy was to revert using a previous system image.

Is there any reason an updated Intel RST driver could be released by HP?

Failing that, could somebody help me diagnose and get to the bottom of this long running issue?

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation