Question

Intern
gh0st-HP
Message 1 of 4 (653 Views)

HP Pavilion DV7 not wakening from sleep/hibernation

The past few days i have noticed that my HP Pavilion DV7 model 6c00 has not  been able to wake up from sleep or hibernation.  Now before when things were running fine i would be able to move my mouse and or hit a button on my keyboard (usually the down arrow button) and my screen would awaken.

Now for some reason I have not been able to get my computer to awaken and it just sits there with a black screen on the laptop. However, while it sits there with a black screen the light around my mouse square and the light on the wifi key is on and everything looks fine, but the computer will not awaken.

Now i have been doing google searches for ways to fix this and the link that keeps coming up is something like this:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c01853693&lc=en&product=5141405

Now that tutorial says to go to Device Manager -> Keyboards -> Standard PS2 Keybard and in the Power Management tab there is an option to click [allow this device to awaken computer]

Now i am not sure if i need this since i was using my keyboard/mouse to awaken my computer before but if you more knowledgeable people think i should be using something like that then I am at a lost because my computer does not have any of those options.

When i went into my device manager and my Standard PS2 Keyboard i do not have the Power Management Tab and i do not have the "Confirm Changes" option either.

Now i thought that this might be a driver issue since my Standard PS2 Keyboard driver is dated so old, 2006 but when i went to my laptops driver page on HP's website, the only option under keyboard and mouse was a Synaptic Touchpad Driver.  Here is the link i used to download that driver: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=5214391&...

Now i thought by updating the driver that i might have the power management tab, but when i went to install the "Syanpitc Touchpad Driver" i don't believe it would install correctly. It would show the application installing the files then i would get a pop up saying ERROR: the driver installed correctly and completely. If you wish to reinstall the old driver you can go to "add and remove" and remove "Syanptic Pointing Device" or something along those lines...

Now if you believe by updating my Standard PS2 Keyboard driver i might be able to fix this issue i am having with Hibernation/Sleep mode, then can someone tell me where to get the driver for my laptops keyboard?

Well i am really hoping that someone here can help me out with this issue i am having...

Oh by the way, where is the sleep button on my laptops keyboard? i have no idea... =(

I thank you all for your time and your assistance.

-gh0st-HP

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 4 (623 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion DV7 not wakening from sleep/hibernation

What is the product number?

Just to note, the keyboard drive is provided by Microsoft and is standard for it to be that old as keyboard technology has not changed drastically in recent years.  The only way to update the keyboard driver is to right-click it in device manager and select update driver.  This will force the system to reach out to Windows Update and check for a new driver.  More than likely, there isn't a new driver. 

Since you are getting activity, such as the light on the mouse, I doubt it is related to the wake setting in device manager.

How long has this been an issue?  If it is a recent issue, have you tried a Microsoft System Restore?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Intern
gh0st-HP
Message 3 of 4 (620 Views)

This issue happened maybe 1-2 months ago and it occured only a few times and then went away. Now it came back and it has happened again only a few times and has not really occured again so I am not sure what to do next...

I know the big step in resovling issues with computers is being able to recreate the error/problem but i am not able to do that since I dont know what the heck is causing the issue.

All of my drivers are up to date (that can be updated) and all Windows Updates have been applied so I will watch my computer closely to see if this occurs again.

When the computer did lock up (stayed in a black screen) the only way i was able to get out of it was to hold down the power button and then reboot the computer back up. I have been told that maybe hitting the sleep button may awake the computer so if this does occur again i will try that, however i highly doubt that it is any kind of resolution.

Thank you so much for your response, since this has not really occured again i will leave my computer as is and if it does occur again i will try a system restore and see if that solves anything.

Thanks again,

gh0st-HP

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 4 (610 Views)

You are most welcome.  If the issue is not currently happening, then I agree the best is to not make any changes.

Thank you for updating the community.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation