Question

Student
sindylin
Message 1 of 3 (2,828 Views)

HP Pavilion dv2000 just turns off for no reason

My Pavilion Laptop suddenly just turns off, the screen goes black and off it goes.  When I press the power button, it resumes Windows to where I was before.

We first thought it was due to Windows being corrupt and needing a total reinstall.  I was using Vista which had been pre installed and in use since I bought the laptop at the end of 2006. When it was new it never did this, its been over the last year approx.  We have now installed Windows 7 but it still does it.

I am wondering if this is a safety feature in built so that when the laptop reaches a certain internal temperature it switches off to protect it from total overheat but I can't find anything written about such a feature in the manual that came with it. The manual isn't that great anyway.

I don't get any warning, no error message-nothing...screen just t goes black and switches off!

Can anyone advise please?

Many thanks

sindylin

Student
mr-jeffreyb
Message 2 of 3 (2,790 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv2000 just turns off for no reason

Hi there! Welcome to the same problem!

Mine is the same model, I noticed it was getting pretty hot after a couple of hours use, and sure enough it shut off all by itself mid-work. Black screen - nothing....After a half an hour cool off period, it was able to restart. I recently bought a USB driven fan unit to put underneath the laptop - but too late! Now the thing shut down recently and will not boot up. I didnt make any recovery disks and am hoping hp in Singapore will be able to help me. All I can say is, keep it cool, make recovery disks, back up all your stuff NOW and pray that it doesn't go the way mine did. Good luck.

Jeff

Honor Student
STARLET354
Message 3 of 3 (236 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv2000 just turns off for no reason

Mine does the same for no reason

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation