Message 1 of 3 (3,094 Views)

HP Pavilion dv2000 just turns off for no reason

My Pavilion Laptop suddenly just turns off, the screen goes black and off it goes.  When I press the power button, it resumes Windows to where I was before.

We first thought it was due to Windows being corrupt and needing a total reinstall.  I was using Vista which had been pre installed and in use since I bought the laptop at the end of 2006. When it was new it never did this, its been over the last year approx.  We have now installed Windows 7 but it still does it.

I am wondering if this is a safety feature in built so that when the laptop reaches a certain internal temperature it switches off to protect it from total overheat but I can't find anything written about such a feature in the manual that came with it. The manual isn't that great anyway.

I don't get any warning, no error message-nothing...screen just t goes black and switches off!

Can anyone advise please?

Many thanks

Message 2 of 3 (3,056 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv2000 just turns off for no reason

Hi there! Welcome to the same problem!

Mine is the same model, I noticed it was getting pretty hot after a couple of hours use, and sure enough it shut off all by itself mid-work. Black screen - nothing....After a half an hour cool off period, it was able to restart. I recently bought a USB driven fan unit to put underneath the laptop - but too late! Now the thing shut down recently and will not boot up. I didnt make any recovery disks and am hoping hp in Singapore will be able to help me. All I can say is, keep it cool, make recovery disks, back up all your stuff NOW and pray that it doesn't go the way mine did. Good luck.

Honor Student
Message 3 of 3 (502 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv2000 just turns off for no reason

Mine does the same for no reason

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation