HP Pavilion dv4-1435dx shuts down randomly/ Windows Error Recovery screen occurs (12039 Views)
Honor Student
mvines
Message 1 of 10 (12,039 Views)

HP Pavilion dv4-1435dx shuts down randomly/ Windows Error Recovery screen occurs

Hi. Ever since I purchased my HP Pavilion dv4-1435dx Entertainment Notebook PC in August, I have had the same issue. It randomly shuts itself down and then presents the black system error recovery screen (Windows was not shut down properly, yadda yadda yadda). This does not appear to be an overheating problem, as it often happens immediately after startup in the morning after being shut down all night. It also can occur at any point during the time I am using it, and frequently DOES, no pattern is observed. I initially attributed it to the OS (I had heard about Vista problems), but after installing the Windows 7 upgrade (on the Vista foundation, great idea?!) I continued to have the problem. Between Windows Vista and the Windows 7 upgrade, I also had a complete hard drive failure, for which I had to send the computer back to HP for repair (thanks for the speedy replacement and return of said hard drive). I detailed this problem on the work order when I sent the computer in, but it was not addressed or resolved. Any thoughts or ideas on what I can do? I am extremely disappointed with this product right now. I purchased to replace a Win Book I had for 5 years. 5 years! Best little laptop I ever had. Took it everywhere, sturdy as a goat. Anyway, please help me fix it?  Thanks!

Top Student
schaeferb222
Message 2 of 10 (11,991 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv4-1435dx shuts down randomly/ Windows Error Recovery screen occurs

My sister has the same problem.  She just purchased with Windows 7 preinstalled and installed a few applications and everytime she tries to put the computer to sleep or hibernate it just powers itself off.  Now that I see other people are having the same problem, I think hers will be going back to the store.  I am in computer support and have never had a problem this bad, without any information as to possible fixes.  All drivers and firmware on this machine are completely up to date.

If this computer keeps just powering off, eventually the operating system will become corrupt, which is likely why you had to get a replacement hard drive.  After the latest crash on hers it started throwing 7E stop errors.

Good Luck!

Top Student
schaeferb222
Message 3 of 10 (11,987 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv4-1435dx shuts down randomly/ Windows Error Recovery screen occurs

Do you have a Qualcomm GOBI2000 Mobile Broad Band card installed?  I started uninstalling software on my machine and after removing the Qualcomm software I no longer have the shutdown problems.  I have since removed the mobile broadband card from the machine and it still is working great!

Honor Student
mvines
Message 4 of 10 (11,978 Views)

I do not have a Broadband card of any kind installed. In fact, it is basically the original configuration with the addition of Windows 7 and I installed Microsoft Office as well. Otherwise, nothing to set off! Thanks for trying though. I am still looking for an answer, but zI think maybe the machine is faulty. I am sure it happens. I am too late to return it to the store, so I guess I have to wait and see what happens.

Student
RichVlad
Message 5 of 10 (10,293 Views)

I have had nothing but nighmares with this machine.  Had motherboard replaced.  Constantly crashing and I have to repair.  I upgraded to Windows 7 when I replaced the motherboard.  Laptop overheats and I get the constant "checking for hard drive consistancy"  It processes about 81 large files and 60 reparse files, but no errors shown.  Unfortunately, I do my business from this lousy computer and cant tie it up for a month with BestBuys's lousy tech support.  Any body got a solution?

Honor Student
Eb-Boston
Message 6 of 10 (9,359 Views)

Hi everyone, any solution on this topic!! I tried everything
Honor Student
sagar_shah_20
Message 7 of 10 (9,236 Views)

Hey man... i know what u're talking about.... i bought the same model around september and i'm having the exact same problem ever since... i thought it might be because of some virus of something... but i kept on ignoring it as i needed it for exams and i didnt have a replacement... did u find any solution yet??!!

Student
chasxmd
Message 8 of 10 (9,070 Views)

Fixed!

My fiancee has the same computer and about two weeks it started just shutting down into a reboot. I updated every driver there was to, removed every non-essiential piece of software, reseated everything, etc... no fix. I pulled the second chip of 2GB of RAM out and although the thing was slow as hell it worked, swapped chips, no problem... went out and bought a 4GB module of RAM and slapped it in.. works just fine now! However if I tried to put in either of the 2GB modules as a second stick it'll go back to randomly rebooting after a couple minutes.. It would reboot EVERY time if trying to play Sims3. I am guessing that video RAM is used at the end of memory segments? ... and when the GPU was using extended amounts of RAM it failed? Just a totally random guess.. anyways her laptop has been working fine for a while now! She did mention that she thinks her Sims graphics don't look AS good as they used to but neither of us is certain. Thanks for the dog memory slot HP!

Good luck.

Honor Student
bikerboy0507
Message 9 of 10 (9,013 Views)

Hey all

I have a client who brought me their Pavilion dv4 with these same symptoms.  After reading your posts, I went into the device manager (for you who do not know how to access device manager simply go to start>right click computer>manage>device manager).  Under network adapters I found some odd drivers that were not functioning properly.  They were named Blah Blah "6of4".  Once uninstalled, I restarted and issue has been resolved.

I must say that HP did produce a dog on this one.  I much prefer the Compaq over this computer.  By the way, this is the third seperate issue this client has had with this computer.  Hope she takes my advice and sells this one off and purchases the Compaq.  Same company - better platform.

Good Luck all.

Student
crazeerdhd3363
Message 10 of 10 (6,789 Views)

Thank you - thank you!!!  I deleted the Qualcomm software and no more shutting down !!!  I am grateful to you that you figured it out !! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation