Question

Student
qwerty330
Message 1 of 37 (27,392 Views)

HP Pavilion dv4 won't boot; blank screen

So yesterday I was using my hp laptop just fine.  However, the ac plug was loose and so I was running only from the battery.  I guess the battery ran out and I was unaware of this, so the laptop just completely shut down.  So i plugged the ac cord back in and pressed the power button.  But now the screen doesn't show anything.  All the lights are on and i can hear the fan.  However, the volume light and the internet wifi light is orange which is usually the case when the computer is hibernating.  I kept trying to restart it over and over and sometimes the screen will turn greyish so I know the LCD screen isn;t the problem.  Any ideas?

Teacher
floydefisher
Message 2 of 37 (27,371 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv4 won't boot; blank screen

Have you tried removing the battery to see if that clears it up?

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 3 of 37 (27,357 Views)

Perform a hard reset on the Notebook. To perform a hard reset, follow the steps below.

1. Unplug the AC adapter from the notebook PC.
  2. Remove the battery from the notebook battery compartment.
  3. Disconnect any external devices or peripherals connected to the notebook. Press and hold down the power button for about 15 seconds
//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Student
bosinator
Message 4 of 37 (26,404 Views)

my computer had the same problem and that worked

Student
Jpmulvaney
Message 5 of 37 (25,083 Views)

My laptop is doing the same thing only except the caps lock and the scroll lock lights start to flash simultaniously. Tried the hard reset thing to no avail, any other ideas?
Student
sc327
Message 6 of 37 (25,039 Views)

Same problem here.  The holding the power button is not working for me.  Any other suggestions?

Honor Student
luizballack
Message 7 of 37 (25,032 Views)

i have the same problem here. The caps lock and scroll lock lights are flashing and no start up. If the problem is the motherboard i can seriously tell that i will never buy an HP, always something malfunctions! and im sick of it
Honor Student
luizballack
Message 8 of 37 (25,021 Views)

Also the caps lock and num lock leds never stop blinking
Honor Student
Jer739
Message 9 of 37 (23,608 Views)

[ Edited ]

My dv4 is doing the same thing, come on HP - {Content Removed: legal discussion}Apprarently one of the chips on the motherboard heats up and causes the solder joints to disconnect. This happened with Nvidia chips and HP and a class action forced them to repair or replace the laptops - or refund the users if they paid for a repair. I WILL NOT PURCHASE OR RECOMMEND ANY HP PRODUCTS UNTIL THESE QC ISSUES ARE RESOLVED. 

Top Student
Michael_Cheng
Message 10 of 37 (23,552 Views)

[ Edited ]

{Content Removed: legal discussion} My piece of junk dv4 just got itself stuck with the same problem.  Flashing caps lock and scroll lights, fan running, no screen.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation