Question

Student
Danniellekd
Message 1 of 10 (23,032 Views)

HP Pavilion dv5-1125nr Black screen with slowly blinking lights

[ Edited ]

HP Pavilion dv5-1125nr Entertainment Notebook with Windows Vista

Was working just fine until went to black screen with lights for Caps Lock and scroll/Number Lock slowly blinking. Tried Control/alt/delete, and powered completely down. Do not get an error message and won't start up, just get black screen with slowly flashing lights. The lights just blink in one second intervals, single flash. Help!!!!

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 2 of 10 (23,022 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv5-1125nr Black screen with slowly blinking lights

As per 1 light blink code sequence which can be found below, it appears your CPU or CPU socket (motherboard) has malfunctioned causing this problem

https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443366&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Student
pavilliondv5
Message 3 of 10 (22,897 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv5-1125nr Black screen with slowly blinking lights [SOLVED]

You need to reflow the solder on the video chip on the motherboard as shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o97Fe3mWqIQ

I didn't have a torch handy but I took out the motherboard and took the heat sink off and put a double layer of foil on it to protect the heat from getting to other parts of the board and cut a square out of the foil to expose the video chip and put my gas stove on low and held the motherboard about a foot above the flame until I smelled the chemical reaction. I then let it cool for 10 minutes and tested it and presto. Good as new.

Student
AABB
Message 4 of 10 (21,070 Views)

I didn't have a heat gun or a gas stove so I used a propane blow torch and it worked.

Student
anukilimanoor
Message 5 of 10 (18,911 Views)

I faced the same problem. It happened me because I diassembled the laptop to clean the fan, I was facing overheat issue. After cleaning it is just blinking the lights and no display at all...It is because of heat sink and paste

Remove the heat sink and then you can see processor and graphics card chip... Clean it and then check the heat sink paste. If it is dry then apply new paste... Done...

Student
rafetkelmendi
Message 6 of 10 (16,474 Views)

I have the same problem, but to me after that switches light after three seconds repeated and so continues while stays lit

so it can not be determined which of these prooblems can be

Honor Student
Crumbs
Message 7 of 10 (13,238 Views)

Hi Kamat, my particular problem doesn't appear to be addressed through the link you have helpfully provided. The screen is black and the lights above the caps lock and scroll keys flash simultaneously and intermittently every few seconds without end. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Professor
npw05001
Message 8 of 10 (13,227 Views)

Hello Crumbs,

I see that you are having start up problems with your HP computer. I would like to help with this issue but I need some information.

Can you provide the model and product number of your computer? Here is a link that shows how to find that information.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

Honor Student
Crumbs
Message 9 of 10 (13,146 Views)

Pavilion dv5-1111ea, p/n FV683EA#ABU

Professor
npw05001
Message 10 of 10 (13,123 Views)

Thanks for the informaiton,

I have a couple of troubleshooting documents that may help with your issue.

Here is a link to troubleshooting steps for common start up problems. If this link doesn't help then here is a link for troubleshooting blank screen after start up.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation