Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

My laptop is dv5-1201 au (AMD) and runs windows vista purchased in June 2009. 

Upon power on only keyboard led's are on and 'numlock' & 'capslock' led's flashes

simultaneously. No display on screen.

It happened two days back suddenly during operation the screen went blank and the

keyboard led's were on and 'numlock' & 'capslock' led's started flashing simultaneously.

Thereafter the laptop never came back to life. I have tried to remove battery and etc. but

there is no screen activity. So I am unable to decide what is fault or how to restore.

regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

May be a RAM problem. Remove one of the RAM sticks and try again. My DV5-1002nr had similar problem and I found it is a problem with the RAM slot. Both RAM sticks are OK, but when something is in the top slot all I get is black. Note the flashing lights too, the number of blinks in a set means something (I don't know what). Mine blinked in a two-blink pattern.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Dear,

Before proceeding any further, request  you to perform one small basic step..

Unplug the charger and remove the battery.

Press and hold teh power button for 1 minute without the battery and charger connected to it.

Now connect only the charger and try to turn it on.

If it works, you can shutdown the laptop and connect the battery back and start using it.

If it fails, let me know..

Regards,

Mukrams

***Click on “Kudos” STAR which is on the left to say thanks!***

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
HP Recommended

May be a RAM problem. Remove one of the RAM sticks and try again. My DV5-1002nr had similar problem and I found it is a problem with the RAM slot. Both RAM sticks are OK, but when something is in the top slot all I get is black. Note the flashing lights too, the number of blinks in a set means something (I don't know what). Mine blinked in a two-blink pattern.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not help. I repeated it couple of times but it remained same.

Looks like it is flashing a code 3 by flashing 3 times in a row. I dont know what that means.

HP Recommended

Dear,

now the only option is to take the notebook to any authorised service center or HP service center to reflash the BIOS..

Regards,

Mukrams

***Click on “Kudos” STAR which is on the left to say thanks!***

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Yes, this is the exact problem in my case also. Thanks to you for posting this lead. I checked further and found in my case any Ram in bottom slot causes this problem. Both Ram modules are OK and I can start the laptop without

problem if only Top slot is used.

Now can anybody suggest what is the remedy of this ram slot? Is it repairable or I need to replace the motherboard?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Further I find the laptop is again not starting and only LED's blinking as before with flash code 2.

As earlier the bottom RAM slot was defective and only top RAM slot functional, is it this time the

top RAM slot is also defective? Is it motherboard problem only or something more?

Can anyone give some idea? Is the laptop repairable or it should be replaced?

HP Recommended

hp pavilion dv5  black screen and caps lock and sc lock flashing , bought the comp uter at auction and unable to get screen working

HP Recommended

i have a similar issue but the said LEDS do not stop blinking ... ? any ideas 

i have tried all of the above but nothing has worked

HP Recommended

HI DonovanPorter:

Thank you for your inquiry.  I am pleased to be able to help!

I understand that your computer will not start up, and you have blinking LEDS.  Here is a link to a document on" Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code" click here.  I hope this is helpful.

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.