HP Pavilion dv6-6180eg - Bluescreen (43476 Views)
Top Student
arn0ux
Message 1 of 25 (43,476 Views)

HP Pavilion dv6-6180eg - Bluescreen

I have my laptop now for nearly 2 months and today i got my third bluescreen. I think the first one appeared after 1 week, but i thought it was just a coincidence. After the second one i updated my graphic card driver but it seems that wasn't the problem.

I checked the minidump file myself and the error is probably caused by: igdpmd64.sys.

Google "tells" me that this file is related to the graphic card driver, but i have already updated it and so I'm out of ideas.

Your help would be highly appreciated.

Link to minidump file: http://www.mediafire.com/?amtkhw2r31cg6lv

Product: HP Pavilion dv6-6180eg - Windows7 64 Bit

Product number: QA965EA#ABD

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 25 (43,463 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6-6180eg - Bluescreen

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

If both the above tests pass, try the following.

From the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter.

Next, click the Start Menu, click Computer, left click Local Disc C once to highlight it, right click Local Disc C and select Properties.  Click the Tools tab and then click the button to 'Check the Drive for Errors'.  In the following window make sure both boxes are ticked and then click Start.  Part of this process will require a restart to check the drive.

After all this, let me know if the problem still persists.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
arn0ux
Message 3 of 25 (43,454 Views)

Thanks for your fast reply.

I did everthing you told me but there didn't show up any errors. It would have really surprised me if the problem was the ram or the harddisk. It may have helped anyways but I can't tell for sure until i have waited for another few weeks when the next bluescreen appears.

Do you have any other ideas?

Top Student
arn0ux
Message 4 of 25 (43,412 Views)

Yesterday I had another bluescreen and the error was again caused by the igdpmd64.sys. 

I'm absolutely sure that it is a software/driver bug which is causing the bluescreens.

Student
JaspJ
Message 5 of 25 (43,386 Views)

Hi, I've the exact same problem with my brand NEW HP DV7 laptop.

Got 8 Blue screens in the 5 last days.

It seems that the igdpmd64.sys has something to do with it.

Did you find a solution for that?

Thanks

Top Student
arn0ux
Message 6 of 25 (43,282 Views)

[ Edited ]

No, I haven't found a solution yet. Today I got another bluescreen -.-

Until now I thought it was just a coincidence but all of my bluescreen happened when I was at the university.

But how can me being at the university (connected to the wlan?) trigger a bluescreen?

Top Student
arn0ux
Message 7 of 25 (43,114 Views)

For those out there who got the same problem like me:

I "fixed" the bluescreen by changing the bios settings for switchable graphics from dynamic to fixed. Furthermore I changed every setting in the ati control panel to high performance and switched off the switchable graphic option so that the computer just uses the external graphic card and I am only using the high power energy plan.

I didn't get a bluescreen since my last post...

Top Student
manishmarley
Message 8 of 25 (42,263 Views)

i got the same prob  when ever i play 3d video on cyberlink power dvd.

error:0x0000007e

igdpmd.sys (this file is a intel graphics driver)

i wanna know that is it just the incompatilbily issue with win 7 or a hardware issue .

i just bought a hp 4540s , 2 gb 7650m radeon graphic. and intel hd 4000.

Top Student
manishmarley
Message 9 of 25 (42,258 Views)

try d bios option ,high performane and enable high on amd control setting still got d same prob!! 

:robotmad:

Top Student
arn0ux
Message 10 of 25 (42,245 Views)

In the end i found the problem. In my case it was the pre-installed graphic card driver. I reinstalled windows and manually installed the drivers from the hp homepage and everthing works fine now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation