Question

Honor Student
JulieLove
Message 1 of 14 (3,801 Views)

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook which freezes up intermittently - no error messages

This notebook is fairly new - 2 months - still under warranty, problem is with the intermittent nature of the 'freezes' (about once a day) that I am worried if I send it back that they won't find (or fix) anything. I get no error messages on hard reboot and 1 out of 2 times I need to restore to an earlier restore point because it won't reboot successfully.

No viruses etc using multiple virus software.

What can I use to try and narrow down the problem - is there anything that will allow me log where the system was when it died?

HTM Honor Student
Honor Student
HTM
Message 2 of 14 (3,794 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook which freezes up intermittently - no error messages

Save your documents and try a system restore. You get there by pressing F11 at post. Hope that works!

Associate Professor
Sanchertx
Message 3 of 14 (3,788 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook which freezes up intermittently - no error messages

Julie,

The system and Reliability monitor is a good place to look, it logs and tracks SW and HW failures and keeps a daily record. Here are instructions on how to run it.

Also, if you require additional help, see the Sticky Post at the top of this board.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-to-use-Reliability-Monitor

win7rel.JPG

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
Honor Student
JulieLove
Message 4 of 14 (3,781 Views)

Thanks for the 'Reliability Monitor' tip, unfortunately the system hangs are just listed as 'Windows was not properly shut down', which is of course because i did a hard reboot.

There are 2 other critical events in the 3 week period that this has been occurring.

• GfxUI stopped working x 2 times
  • AddInUtil.exe stopped working 3 times

Both occurred on the same day and a week after my first system hangs.

The 'Check For Solution' option on these critical events within 'the Reliabilty Monitor doesn't come up with anything.

The only new software on the system before the system hangs commenced was AVAST anti-virus and I have completely disabled that with no improvement.

Associate Professor
Sanchertx
Message 5 of 14 (3,778 Views)

Julie,

Please see the Post on the top of this board about running MSDT and follow the instructions to send the data to the email address, we will attempt to analzye what is causing the crashes/lockups.

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
Professor
Charles001
Message 6 of 14 (3,759 Views)

When it "freezes", do you still see the things on display or just a black/blank display? If things are still displayed, do you still see the mouse point, but clicking has no effect or not even mouse? If you press the Caps Lock, does the LED indicate caps lock turn on?

Sometimes the computer may behave like "freeze" but it's actually working, for example, it's applying a large Windows Update, or in the black screen case, lost graphics (but everything else still working, just not seeing).

======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Honor Student
JulieLove
Message 7 of 14 (3,757 Views)

Thanks sanchertx.

I have run the MSDT which sent the 'data' to Microsoft but have me no option to send it to the e-mail at OCATEAM@hp.com

Is there something I need to do to be able to capture the results of the MSDT?

Associate Professor
Sanchertx
Message 8 of 14 (3,754 Views)

Julie,

Just send your machine name to the email address and they can find it that way.

regards,

I am an HP employee.

Honor Student
Murray654321
Message 9 of 14 (3,466 Views)

Bought the machine in August 2011...

I experienced a few lock ups -each a little different until yesterday when it went completely BLACK - cap lock light on - f10 and f11 lit orange.  A KILL usually fixed the problem and got me back up again.  But not this time. Apparently it is caused by a 'static' hold up of some kind or other.  I was able to get the machine back up by these steps..(did not fix the problem but rather got by the lock up)

1.) Turn off the machine-

2.) Unplug the AC-

3.) Take out the battery -

4.) Hold down the Power Button for 20 seconds- which deals with the "static" thing

5.) Reconnect the AC with the Battery out - then boot machine-

6.) After the computer runs through the complete start up - shut down normally -

7.) Re-install the Battery - reboot - and away you go -

This is kind of a very old computer fix from the 1960s and 1970s - when I started working on the first computers. Why the heck HP has this problem with something made in 2011 - blows my mind!

An Old Friend reminded me of that old problem and away I went.

Student
OhMG
Message 10 of 14 (3,379 Views)

ME TOO!!!!  My Model DV6-6106tx also encountered FREEZE issue without doing anything.......It is a very lousy product. I had update all the driver system restore and etc but problem still perssist... need help urgently .....just bought it one week ago. I hate it deeply.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation