Question

Honor Student
danlanman
Message 1 of 12 (6,907 Views)

HP Pavilion dv6915nr will not boot - continuously reboots

My HP Pavilion dv6915nr will not start up. When I turn it on all of the lights come on and I can hear the fan and after about 2 seconds it turns off and immediately turns back on repeating the same process over and over. I have performed a hard reset with no success. I have removed the memory and placed each stick in each slot and boot four times to ensure I did not have a memory issue or a memory slot issue. I also removed the hard drive and inspected it. No issues. I replaced it with the same results.

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Student
Dangerous1969
Message 2 of 12 (6,896 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6915nr will not boot - continuously reboots

I have exactly the same problem you have described. I hope someone posts a solution SOON!

PhD Student
Knute
Message 3 of 12 (6,868 Views)

Go into the BIOS (press F10 when you see the HP splash screen on bootup) and navigate to the Diagnostics Tab, then select Memory and/or Hard Drive tests and see if either of those return an error.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Student
    computertrouble
    Message 4 of 12 (6,842 Views)

Hello,

I am having a similar problem, but my computer is not turning on at all.  I press the power on button and nothing happens until I take the battery out, plug, unplug a few times, and press the button again a bunch of times.  I chatted with an hp tech yesterday and I was advised to unplug, take out battery, and press power on for 45 seconds, then plug in and press power.  This did work, but the problem is not fixed and I now need to go through this process every time I turn it on.  What is wrong with my computer?

PhD Student
    Knute
    Message 5 of 12 (6,797 Views)

computertrouble wrote:

Hello,

I am having a similar problem, but my computer is not turning on at all.  I press the power on button and nothing happens until I take the battery out, plug, unplug a few times, and press the button again a bunch of times.  I chatted with an hp tech yesterday and I was advised to unplug, take out battery, and press power on for 45 seconds, then plug in and press power.  This did work, but the problem is not fixed and I now need to go through this process every time I turn it on.  What is wrong with my computer?

If you create your own post regarding this you will generate more responses.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Top Student
    MRFHSR
    Message 6 of 12 (6,667 Views)

[ Edited ]

it looks like i am not the only one having this problem.

it started when i was advised by computer to do my updates which i did and than it did a restart for installing and once it started it would not stop restarting it self over and over, it will not boot up just continue to restart and off and than restarts and off. i have a compaq f500 laptop  with prem vista. i removed the memory chips and reinstalled them, switch them around, installed old memory chips i have and still the same thing. i remove the dc power cord and put in the fully charged battery and the same thing. if you get any help let me know [Personal Information Removed]

sign, crankie-frankie

Honor Student
    ny25
    Message 7 of 12 (6,467 Views)

I have exactly the same problem and it has been stop/starting for about an hour now.

Can anyone advise please?

Honor Student
    lvmphd
    Message 8 of 12 (6,237 Views)

I have the same problem, began after I had used sleep mode. Tried to run recovery discs, but machine starts and shuts down, repeats indefinitely. IF I hit escape or Windows logo, the machine stays on and I can hear the dvd drive start and stop BUT I have no screen image at all to tell me when to use the 2nd and 3rd discs. Seems that this problem is shared by many others. Tried the hardstart recommend in other posts without success.

Student
    kim222
    Message 9 of 12 (6,117 Views)

I have 2 dv6915nr laptops and both started with just the LCD's coming on when the power button was pressed and then nothing but black screen.  Now one of them won't even power on the LCD's!  Why is HP not recalling these computers?  They are well aware that there is a major design flaw.  It's a sin!  I spent a fortune on these computers and now both are useless.   We're not the only ones with this problem.  It's all over the internet and how everyone else is having the same problem with their dv6915nr!  I've been buying HP's for over a decade and never had a problem with one until now, but with HP not recognizing the problem and fixing it to save their "name", you can bet that I will never buy another HP and will make sure friends and family don't either!  Thanks Alot For Nothing HP!!

Student
    mdbrinkman
    Message 10 of 12 (5,919 Views)

I had the same problem with mine.  I replaced the BIOS battery on the mother board and all is well.  One screw to get to the motherboard and then it's an easy replacement process.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation