HP Pavilion dv7-1245dx will not turn on (15815 Views)
Tutor
jadedhero
Message 1 of 14 (15,815 Views)

HP Pavilion dv7-1245dx will not turn on

I was using my laptop a few months ago and everything was fine.  All of a sudden, it turned itself off.  I powered it back on and it ran for probably about 5 minutes and then died again.  It was plugged in when this happened.  I tried to power it back on and nothing happened.  I let it sit for a few minutes and tried again and still nothing.  I've read some posts from people who have had this kind of problem, and they said that when they tried to turn it on the 3 lights on the front of the keyboard would flash.  Mine does not do this.  When I push the power button, I get absolutely nothing.  When I plug the power adapter in the light next to it does not turn on.  I had a friend look at it and he said the power supply was probably fried.  I've been searching for a power supply for this laptop but all I find is power adapters.  I have more or less given up on it working again, and it is out of warranty so sending it in for repair isn't really an option.  Does anybody know what is going on with my laptop?  Or where to find a power supply?  Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

-=jadeDHero=-
Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 2 of 14 (15,799 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv7-1245dx will not turn on

If the power adaptor LED is not glowing, sometimes it might be a problem with power adaptor itself. Have you tried checking with another power adaptor to see if if works ?

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Tutor
jadedhero
Message 3 of 14 (15,755 Views)

I tried using my girlfriend's power adapter but the LED still did not come on.

-=jadeDHero=-
Professor
Charles001
Message 4 of 14 (15,752 Views)

if that's the case, the notebook needs to be serviced - most likely the motherboard needs repair/replaced.

======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Tutor
jadedhero
Message 5 of 14 (15,749 Views)

That's kind of what I was afraid of...any idea how much something like that could cost?

-=jadeDHero=-
Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 6 of 14 (15,700 Views)

[ Edited ]

250-300$ which includes cost of component and labor 

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Tutor
jadedhero
Message 7 of 14 (15,670 Views)

Ouch...I'm not even sure if it's worth it to put that much money into it.  I might as well just buy a little netbook until I have the money to buy a nice desktop...

-=jadeDHero=-
Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 8 of 14 (15,656 Views)

You can get it done for even lesser price if you try searching for motherboard on ebay for a lesser price and know any local tech at your place who can do it for a lesser price. 

I'm quite sure you will have to shell out at least 200$ to get it fixed. 

I am an HP employee!!
Tutor
jadedhero
Message 9 of 14 (15,612 Views)

So the power supply is integrated into the motherboard?  That's what I thought but when my tech friend told me I could just find a power supply I figured he knew what he was talking about.  Thanks for all the help!

-=jadeDHero=-
Tutor
jadedhero
Message 10 of 14 (15,276 Views)

So...I replaced the motherboard, made sure everything was connected up correctly and put back the exact way it was before, and now when I turn on my computer the screen is just black.  All of the LEDs are on, including the one on the back of the screen, but nothing shows up on the screen.  The NUM LOCK and CAPS LOCK lights blink on and off.  What does this mean?

-=jadeDHero=-
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation